DIY Sheep Hunt

Thanks for the kind words. It was a neat memory and worth a couple of points.
Welcome! If I wasn’t gonna focus the next few years on hunting the unlimited sheep I’d burn a few points on a ewe. It’s the same gorgeous country and I may never draw a tag anyway for a limited entry ram.

I've been fortunate enough to live in sheep country my entire adult life. Got lucky and drew 6 CO resident archery ram tags and arrowed a couple in the 35 years I lived there. Some of the tags were second choice back in the 1980s. Even more fortunate was getting a non-resident NV desert tag and arrowing one....first year I put in back in '91!

Moving to BC and being able to hunt Stones every year with an OTC $60 sheep tag was great too. Took me 8 back pack trips over 6 years to arrow one. Those tags are good for most of the Stone sheep units, and in the non-draw bighorn/California bighorn units too (any legal weapon). One sheep per calendar year is the bag limit...I think auction tags excepted. Could be used for a Dall if you draw for a LEH hunt in the one of the two units that has Dalls up against the Yukon/Alaska border in very NW BC.

I broke down and went to the NWT to arrow a Dall as I was afraid I'd run out of legs/knees/hips to bowhunt Dall sheep country before I drew a BC Dall, as the odds are getting worse by the year....up around 1 in 20 now. I'm glad I got an archery sheep Grand Slam, but it would be even better to have one DIY, and I still have the Dall to go for that. I'll give it a whirl if I ever draw a Dall LEH here in BC. (Or we could move to Alaska but doubt my wife is up for that.)

Good luck sheep hunting!

Here is one option...and it may get some laughs...when I turned 22 I had 2 or 3 Montana sheep points. I decided I wanted to hunt sheep darn it and burned them on a ewe tag. I now have a shoulder mount of a ewe in my basement that brings back memories of my successful DIY bighorn hunt that is a precious memory. I now have 11 Montana points and will wait (probably until I die) for a ram tag....but I am ok with that. I got a sheep I am proud of. A ram from Montana, Idaho, Nevada , Colorado or Utah will be a bonus if I one day draw. But I have a sheep. Just a thought. Maybe join the 1/4 grand slam of ewes club!

i'm changing my strategy around and trying to scale back a little so I have been applying for a ewe tag in MT to do the same and put a ewe pedestal mount next to my Idaho ram.

I've been fortunate enough to live in sheep country my entire adult life. Got lucky and drew 6 CO resident archery ram tags and arrowed a couple in the 35 years I lived there. Some of the tags were second choice back in the 1980s. Even more fortunate was getting a non-resident NV desert tag and arrowing one....first year I put in back in '91!

Moving to BC and being able to hunt Stones every year with an OTC $60 sheep tag was great too. Took me 8 back pack trips over 6 years to arrow one. Those tags are good for most of the Stone sheep units, and in the non-draw bighorn/California bighorn units too (any legal weapon). One sheep per calendar year is the bag limit...I think auction tags excepted. Could be used for a Dall if you draw for a LEH hunt in the one of the two units that has Dalls up against the Yukon/Alaska border in very NW BC.

I broke down and went to the NWT to arrow a Dall as I was afraid I'd run out of legs/knees/hips to bowhunt Dall sheep country before I drew a BC Dall, as the odds are getting worse by the year....up around 1 in 20 now. I'm glad I got an archery sheep Grand Slam, but it would be even better to have one DIY, and I still have the Dall to go for that. I'll give it a whirl if I ever draw a Dall LEH here in BC. (Or we could move to Alaska but doubt my wife is up for that.)

Good luck sheep hunting!
What is considered BC residency? Did you get dual citizenship?

What is considered BC residency? Did you get dual citizenship?

Canada (at least Alberta does it this way) uses their provinces like we do our states. They have three categories of hunters.....resident, non-resident (but Canadian) and alien non-resident (the rest of the world)

Like others have posted, by law, non-resident sheep hunting in Canada is guided only, and Dall sheep hunting in Alaska is either guided or with a first line blood relative.

I was lucky enough to have caught the sheep bug in the early '80s when we could buy an unlimited Montana sheep tag every year and it didn't conflict with the draw tags in the other units. I also live within 100 miles of most of those unlimited units, and through the '80s and '90s I had horses so I would do an opening weekend sheep hunt almost every year. Unfortunately back then I didn't realize how fortunate we were to have those tags, so I didn't pursue those hunts as seriously as I should have.

Over those years I probably went on a dozen or more of those unlimited sheep hunts and I was fortunate enough to have harvested 3 bighorn rams. Since then the regulations for those units have tightened, many of the units either closed or were changed to draw units, and have become over crowded with hunters. I have applied for a draw unit Montana sheep tag every yes since 1984 without drawing.

In about 1998 I hunted Dall sheep ion the Mackenzie mountains of Canada's Northwest Territories and got a beautiful 39" ram.

I would still like to do a Stone sheep hunt, but their cost has skyrocketed.

Pay and pray to draw a Lower 48 tag, otherwise in Canada and Alaska your paying for a guide

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back