Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

DIY Deer or Elk with horses & mules

dmserpa

Just thought I'd see if there is anyone out there that hauls horses and mules around the western states to chase deer or elk. We have our own outfit to enable us to travel from CA to 5 western states where we can get a tag. We've been fortunate to get gen elk tags in Wyo. the last 2 yrs. getting only one spike this last yr. We put in for Wy, Co, Az,Nv, and CA. We are building points in all states but the good ones are slow coming.
Has anyone hunted unit 27 in Az, I hope we're getting close to drawing there?

I have a spent time in that unit... I've hunted elk, deer, turkey & bear in there. If you want rough country... you have the right unit.

I don't haul them, but have hunted with a group in ID that generally had 3-4 equines with them. Since I didn't get to ride one in and had to walk the 7.5miles in, I didn't have much use for them. Seemed like more work than it was worth, then we got a few bulls down... ;) Much better than packing them out on your back! I've also used the same stock with BOY for his mtn goat and bighorn sheep hunts. They can definitely come in handy, I'm just glad I don't have to feed 'em!

I have one and my family has 3 more. Have hunted using horses all my life. Like mentioned before they can be a pain in the butt or a blessing depending on the day. So far I like using my horse rather than my back:D I don't travel far from home with them so I can't comment on that type of adventure. Have taken them to Idaho but that's as far away as I've gone. Hoping to draw the Dutton tag in Utah then maybe I can drag horses down there to haul my big bull out:D

Keep in mind you must have a currant brand inspection and travel permit to hual them interstate. But as mentioned above, well worth it once you are in camp

Thanks for the info, I've got 6ppts for Elk and I'm debating for putting in for unit 23 or 27. Sounds like 27 is more remote and a better choice since we have horses and mules? What do you think?
Dennis

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back