DIY Auodad Hunt Shafter Texas Part II

B

big28hunter

This past January a had a great hunt in West Texas hunting auodad, javelina, quail, and predators. Our hunt was based out of Shafter. We had five guys in camp. My brother's Dave and Brian, a friend of mine Zack, and a friend of Brian's from the Army, Brian R. Consider him a friend of mine as well now! Brian, Zack, and Dave got auodad. Brian R. had missed a few but the shots were quit difficult at running auodad. I never got an opportunity at a sheep but did have some great stalks on some huge rams. Just seeing them was worth the long drive. I hunted this ranch 5 years ago and seen a lot of game. It was colder then and the weather this hunt was much warmer. I believe that is why I didn't see that much game this time out! I did manage to take some quail and a nice boar javelina the last day. Dave also took a javelina. We doubled while pushing out a dried up creek bed after a failed stalk on a huge ram just below camp! Never heard so many coyotes in my life. I also missed one the second day. Hope you enjoy the pictures. Good huntin'

Dave's Auodad
383.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Double on javelina
DSC02151.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Scaled Quail
DSC02115.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

One of the many caves on the Three Sister Mountains
DSC02110.jpg
[/URL][/IMG

DSC02131.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC02116.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC02067.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Headed back down in January for another hunt! Preparation for my Alaskan dall sheep hunt in August with Max Schwab!

Very nice! I'm thinking I might spring for a hunt like that someday. Sorta the po' man's desert sheep hunt.

Rugged country for sure. Critters and rocks are the same color. Thanks for sharing the hunt.

..like the weapons array.

Talked to the ranch owner last night. All set for my third trip to his ranch. The ranch is located next to Shafter, Texas. He increased his price from $800.00 to $850.00. Of course I told him I understood and will gladly pay the extra $50.00 for a crack at a huge sheep like my brother Dave took in January. I'll be hunting down there 1-20-14 and leaving 1-24-14. Not sure of the logistics yet. But I prefer to drive. Will have to see what the rest of the crew wants to do. Thank you all and if you never hunted aoudad I would seriously consider chasing them as it is no doubt the best price sheep hunt out there. And next to a dall IMO there's no better life size mount either!

Yes! He's from El Paso! Very nice guy just have to speak loudly when you call him.

Would you be willing to share contact info for the ranch? I have been searching for an affordable aoudad hunt.

oh man that's on my bucket list. I might need this guys contact info as well. My BIL really wants to go to a place like this maybe we can swing it next year.

There's been several requests for info on Al's property. So I'll post info!

When you call him speak loudly as he is hard of hearing. If you decide to hunt his property feel free to give me a call if you have any questions. PM me for cell phone number. Hunt area located near Shafter Texas! Good huntin'

Al Lonsteneau
Cell 915-373-5959
Home 915-755-2819 El Paso Texas

Last edited:
Robert,let's go!!! I know the govt craps hurting u but a auodad hunt will make u forget all about that.Oh yeah,bears r thick here this year.I'm going to get u a nice Pa bear in a few weeks

I'll be forgetting about all of life's crap in 3 days as I get off the plane in Arizona. Seeing several up my way as well. Bears are going to take a beating this year with the lack of mast crop. I hoping for a Triple Trophy this year. Can't wait Scott!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back