DIY Archery Elk (First Timer)

TrickyTross

Alrighty, in my mountains they are just now doing a draw for elk (4 bull tags) in July. The chances of me hitting the lottery are actually better than me drawing a tag in NC. My buddies and me have had the obsession of getting out west to go after elk. We wanna go with our bows, we do not care if its bull or cow, just wanna get our feet wet. I have listened to Randys podcast, used to be a member of HF, have spoke with others in other forums but all I am wondering is; If you had a chance to go after your first DIY public land elk hunt with archery equipment, where would you go (OTC, buy left over tags, etc...) ? I don't wanna know honey holes or anything like that, just what state would you say is best? Hoping to get an honest answer, not the "Pay $8,000 to an outfitter" like I have in the past. Really like the thought of Montanas left over tags, just trying to figure out what that means. Know you can buy OTC in Utah for archery elk, but still not 100% on what that entails either. I am currently purchasing points in Wy for Elk and deer, but know I will need to wait a few years before I cash in on that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ps.
I searched the forum and found no answers to what I am asking, so I apologize if this has been posted and I couldn't find it. in the case it has, if you would copy and paste the link to the thread it was discussed in, id be much obliged.

I'm from Alabama. Been on 4 DIY archery elk hunts. All public land. I'd say you have 3 viable options for OTC or general. ID, MT, and CO. Id go with CO due to it being closer to drive, more elk, plenty of public land. The drawbacks to ID and MT to me are distance to drive(40+ hrs from AL), smaller elk numbers, and potential Grizzlies in MT! At least the units in SW MT. I do feel that you could have a really good early season archery hunt in MT due to elk being higher in elevation and on public with less competition. I've heard that 70% of Montana's elk live on private though? I guess it depends on where u r there, which hunting season, etc. ID has had wolf issues in areas that have really affected the elk population. I don't know much about ID to be fair though other than what I read about the wolf issues. I think CO has a little bit of everything. Good access, good elk population, and plenty of public land that the elk reside on. The drawback is the number of hunters that you will be competing with. I'm going to CO in sept OTC and check out at least 2 or three areas and hopefully find somewhere I can hunt OTC when I don't draw a tag in other states. With that said, all 4 hunts I've been on I've had opportunities at Bulls screaming their heads off but just Havent been able to quite close the deal. Bowhunting elk On your own public land is the hardest thing I've ever attempted! Period. Plan on lots of hard work, nothing going right, flat tires, competition, many miles on your feet day after day. I try and take 10-14 days when I go. Trust me, you'll need everyday! Now rifle hunting would be a diff ballgame. Fill free to PM me!

As far as choosing a unit, you should look at success rates for each unit, number of hunters, accessibility of where the elk are within the unit, elk pop, etc. And talk to anyone that will listen that you find that knows the area! And go hunt! You'll figure it. I had never stepped foot in any of the places I had been and always have been in elk. Except for one trip was pretty bad but did manage to get into a few elk even then

I also like Colorado here is plenty of public access with the state, forest & BLM land. And as a NR you can get 2 OTC elk tags (1 either sex & 1 cow/calf) for around $1100. I've hunted DIY CO archery elk 6 years now and found that there is less hunting pressure the first couple weeks in the season before the muzzle loader seasons open.

I also like Colorado here is plenty of public access with the state, forest & BLM land. And as a NR you can get 2 OTC elk tags (1 either sex & 1 cow/calf) for around $1100. I've hunted DIY CO archery elk 6 years now and found that there is less hunting pressure the first couple weeks in the season before the muzzle loader seasons open.

Thanks!!

Well, no one on this forum will tell you to spend $8k on an outfitter unless your question was "How can I shoot a 340" bull this year with no experience?".

This forum is made up of various levels of the DIY hunter. As someone else mentioned, the best options for OTC tags are in CO, ID and MT. I'll nominate WY also for buying a leftover tag. You want to archery hunt so that actually opens your options I think.

Think about when you want to go and how much time you have to devote. That may change your options.

Last year was my first "on my own" elk hunt and I didn't start planning until mid july after I bought a left over WY cow tag. You can still buy a leftover tag and keep your points. We bowhunted in Sept. and then returned with rifles in December. It was a blast and we had opprtunities in both seasons. We tagged out in December and I can't wait for this season.

Everyone talks about wolves and griz and it does take some considerations when you hunt, but Black bears have killed more people than Griz and they are more plentiful. Keep a clean camp and you will avoid both. I would rather deal with wolves in my zone than a group of human hunters.

Wyoming lets you hunt archery and rifle seasons on one tag. DIY is all we do and have been lucky almost every year. Their are plenty of big bulls all over, not just near grizzlies and wolves. Even the hard hit areas in Wyoming throw out some monsters every year, general tags and limited quota areas. That being said , every state with a healthy elk population will be great hunting.

Thanks guys! I have been buying points and will get another this year for Wyoming. I had no idea about the left over tags though! I'll look into that!

Our game plan is next September. Primarily for my buddies dad who may or may not have a whole lot of elk chasing left in him. May look at Wyoming, that way if he doesn't harvest with his bow, we can try again in December.

Alrighty, in my mountains they are just now doing a draw for elk (4 bull tags) in July. The chances of me hitting the lottery are actually better than me drawing a tag in NC. My buddies and me have had the obsession of getting out west to go after elk. We wanna go with our bows, we do not care if its bull or cow, just wanna get our feet wet. I have listened to Randys podcast, used to be a member of HF, have spoke with others in other forums but all I am wondering is; If you had a chance to go after your first DIY public land elk hunt with archery equipment, where would you go (OTC, buy left over tags, etc...) ? I don't wanna know honey holes or anything like that, just what state would you say is best? Hoping to get an honest answer, not the "Pay $8,000 to an outfitter" like I have in the past. Really like the thought of Montanas left over tags, just trying to figure out what that means. Know you can buy OTC in Utah for archery elk, but still not 100% on what that entails either. I am currently purchasing points in Wy for Elk and deer, but know I will need to wait a few years before I cash in on that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ps.
I searched the forum and found no answers to what I am asking, so I apologize if this has been posted and I couldn't find it. in the case it has, if you would copy and paste the link to the thread it was discussed in, id be much obliged.

Digging up an older thread a bit, but did the NC commission actually draw tags this year? I sure missed the boat on that if so. Hope you made it out west and had some luck! I'll be up in Leicester in 3 weeks for a wedding. Not quite the Rockies but its better than Raleigh flatland for a few days.

Digging up an older thread a bit, but did the NC commission actually draw tags this year? I sure missed the boat on that if so. Hope you made it out west and had some luck! I'll be up in Leicester in 3 weeks for a wedding. Not quite the Rockies but its better than Raleigh flatland for a few days.

They didn't. I think they are still working on that. I reckon we will see. I'll actually be in Raleighwood next week for some training. But it is awesome that you know where Leicester is. Enjoy the wedding and landscape. Keep a weary eye on us locals...

I went to CO on my own last year. Had thought about going for several years and wasn't going to wait any longer when my friends bailed. STEEP learning curve. Flew out on my own, hiked into the San Juans on an OTC tag and spent a week there. Hot and I may have only heard one bugle all week. Did see one non-legal bull and a few cows coming over a rise into a meadow the 2nd to last day and that was it. But I am so happy I decided to go. It was a great trip and week of camping if nothing else in new country. I learned my boots weren't waterproof, I won't buy a Sawyer water filter again (the filter's great but the bags break), its hard adjusting to altitude, but the week was a success none the less. I was almost glad I didn't have to hump an elk out the last day (almost). I think I can hunt deep, but if you get an elk down and its as hot as it was you have to take that into consideration.

This year we are headed to CO doing a rent a ranch deal in 3rd rifle because we got a group and my dad is going. He's getting older so who knows how many hunts I'll have left with him. Next year I'll be back with a bow.

If I could go west more than once in a season MT and WY are at the top of my list because of only buying one tag but the MT combo tag is pricey. I have been applying for WY points and have 4 now and started applying for AZ this year. I think that if I did the same as last year I'd choose ID>CO. Somewhere new with less hunters. I don't think I'd mind wolves, but being on my own I'm staying out of grizzly country. I need to learn more about applying for general UT tags and leftover WY tags.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnbighunter
Back