DIY antelope hunot advice

Midwest Hunter

DIY antelope hunt advice

Some buddy's and I are planning to do an antelope trip in 2016 in Wyoming. I have hunted several times near Laramie but only on private land. The landowner sold the property so we are now on our own. Looking at units in the middle to north east such as unit 7 or 27. We have purchased 1 preference point each and are planning to apply as a group. We will be 100% public access. Really need some good recommendations and advice.

Last edited:
My best advice would be to look for units that have some WIA and HMA's and take 1 point to draw.

We hunted 27 this year. It takes a NR 3 points or more to draw. Numbers are still down from the hard winter of 10 and maybe some blue tongue die off lately. Saw some good bucks but not lots of antelope. Game Wardens and resident hunters were great, friendly and helpful. The area we hunted on some days we only a couple other hunters.

Things have changed a lot around Laramie in recent years. You used to be able to draw many of the units around there 2nd choice as a non-ressy. Not anymore. That being said, there are plenty of units in Wyoming that you could draw with 1pt. Take a look at the odds, compare maps for public land and you should be set.

Ignore draw odds prior to 2014, 2015 really are the only ones that will provide much help at this point. Buying the more expensive tag may or may not be worth it if it opens up an area you want to hunt. I don't think its worth it as I've shot nice bucks on leftover tags the last 2 years. Buy the GPS Chip, learn to shoot at least out to 300 yards.

Thanks for the good advice everyone. Sounds like 7 is a good bet, anyone have advice for that unit, where to camp hunt etc. I herd that there are land owner lists that allow access. Are they all pay to hunt or are there land owners who allow access for free or the case of beer and a handshake. That's how we do it up here.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back