MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

DIY 2017 Elk hunt

i have been planning to drive it. Going with 1 or 2 other folks I don't think it would be bad and a lot cheaper and easier to carry all the gear you need.

I'm in Oklahoma. Doing my first hunt...ever...at 40 years old this year. I will be applying in NM (haven't picked a unit yet) and if I don't draw, I will be grabbing something OTC in Colorado. Not sure yet if I will end up doing archery or rifle, but if you want to dip south about an hour from I40, I could drive the second leg. We'll see what shakes out.

How hard is it to get a tag? How is the hunting pressure?

Most of the state is OTC, only a few unit's that are draw/limited entry, Hunting pressure is as you would think, closer to the big cities the more people, also the more road's the more hunter's, Archery season is not to bad for a lot of units, any weapon season is crowded in those units that have easy access/lots of roads..... if you have specific question's feel free to PM me,
Matt

Hello, I am currently outside of Nashville and looking to do my first elk hunt next year. I am new to this forum but feel free to message me or respond if you'd like. I can't promise I can get the time off to go but I'd love to help plan or help you sort through maps and etc. I have quite a few hours studying maps and terrain while in the military at fort Campbell.

When will you know when you can get time off?

I'm in Oklahoma. Doing my first hunt...ever...at 40 years old this year. I will be applying in NM (haven't picked a unit yet) and if I don't draw, I will be grabbing something OTC in Colorado. Not sure yet if I will end up doing archery or rifle, but if you want to dip south about an hour from I40, I could drive the second leg. We'll see what shakes out.

Do you have a place on Colorado that you go to?

We are putting together a bow hunt in CO for the 2017 season. We are a group of military guys most retired, you guys are more than welcome to join us. We have a group out of Clarksville that will be traveling by vehicle. Right now we have 8 guys but most likely only 3 will get to go due to who knows what everyone's real life schedule will be. Our goal was 6 guys going so we could split into 3 two man groups.

Very interested from SoCal.

I travel a lot for work, but i would love the opportunity to go on my first elk hunt with some new friends if there is still room available and the scheduling works out. Please DM me if you have room for one more.

Good gracious! I couldn't find hardly anybody the last couple years when I was looking for a partner. There were some people come out of the woodworks for this thread. haha. I guess I'm already kind of use to planning and doing it by myself now. Hope all you guys all find some good buddies and have some great hunts.

Good gracious! I couldn't find hardly anybody the last couple years when I was looking for a partner. There were some people come out of the woodworks for this thread. haha. I guess I'm already kind of use to planning and doing it by myself now. Hope all you guys all find some good buddies and have some great hunts.

I'm experiencing that same thing. another reason I'm starting now for an '18 trip. I have 3 friends that "would love to go" but 2 are couch potatoes and I dont see that changing and 1 that can't keep focused on one task for more than a week. So, I'm sure I'll be posting one of these threads about august/september of this year myself so there's plenty of time to work out the logistics.

Trust me the same guys told me they were in last year and this year but both years it hasn't worked out for them. I don't get mad at them because life happens and I can understand that. However, after having a taste of it out here its hard to not make it happen.

Somewhat sadly I will be moving back to MS this August after my fantastic year out here. I will be somewhat nice because I miss my hunting and fishing back there but will also be happy to be coming back up here to hunt in late September.

I'll be headed to Colorado 3rd season rifle if anybody would like to hunt together. My hunting partner has a child due in a few months and won't have time off. I will be back in central Illinois at that time. The unit that I plan to hunt is a very tough unit as it is steep and nasty. PM me if you are interested or we can bounce some notes off each other

Not sure about my season this year, due to my bride's class reunion. Think I'm going to look at second season Unit 80. Archery hunted there in '13 and have a few good spots logged in. Anybody going to be in the area?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back