Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Disclosing SSN to buy hunting and fishing licenses.

TomTeriffic

This has caused a big stink with some American sportsmen. So, when one puts a social security number down to buy a hunting and/or fishing license as at a sporting goods store, what government agencies or other parties is this information actually shared with? I hate even having to give an SSN to get a driver license. It's too much Big Brother. I gather one who declines to give an SSN will get denied a hunting/fishing license.

Some deadbeat fathers and some deadbeat mothers have money to buy hunting and fishing licenses but not money to support their children. I guess its the taxpayers who should fund their children’s lives??

Many state game and fish departments do not allow “deadbeat” parents to buy recreation licenses unless they are current on their child support and thus attempt to track them by their SSNs. I know it’s not a perfect system but kudos to those states for at least trying.

To answer your question seriously, there are usually ways you can purchase a license without a Ssn. In Iowa your options are SSN, drivers license #, passport #, green card #, military id, international visa.

Take it for what it’s worth, but the system also says it does not use/share those numbers. It is strictly to verify you are you.

I know this, because I’ve been teaching a hunters Ed class at a school that is 90% immigrants. To say those people are Leary of the govt asking for a ssn is an understatement.

I just read that in Texas one only has to disclose "last 4" of social on a hunting/fishing license app. Texas dropped the SSN requirement to get a CCW back in 2014. Gladly, SSN is not mandatory for an FFL transfer, but only optional. Owning a gun is a 2nd A right so I suppose the feds can't impose SSN requirements upon the Bill of Rights. Deadbeat dads holding back their SSN could just go buy a truckload of guns.

According to Oklahoma's game agency site, there is an upgrade that now only requires the last 4 to be given. Not quite as bad as having to reveal a whole social.

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/licensing/new-licensing-system-faq

Why do I need to provide the Last 4 Digits of my Social Security Number?

Pursuant of Federal Law, we are required to collect this information for the purposes of child support collection enforcement. ODWC license buyer information is protected by state statute. Your information is secure and confidential and may be used by the ODWC for official purposes related to customer service and wildlife management. As part of the upgrade, ODWC will only collect the last 4 digits instead of the full SSN.

So you're concerned about government agencies having access to your social security number? You do know that it was a government agency that issued you that social security number, right?
No number no benefits.

Give them your ex wife's SSN how are they gonna know?
They don't look it up, they just enter it into the computer. 💥

This has caused a big stink with some American sportsmen. So, when one puts a social security number down to buy a hunting and/or fishing license as at a sporting goods store, what government agencies or other parties is this information actually shared with? I hate even having to give an SSN to get a driver license. It's too much Big Brother. I gather one who declines to give an SSN will get denied a hunting/fishing license.
Big Brother assigned you the SSN :)

So you're concerned about government agencies having access to your social security number? You do know that it was a government agency that issued you that social security number, right?
According to the Social Security Act of 1931, this number is not for general ID purposes. What does buying a hunting/fishing license or driving a car have to do with collecting SS benefits anyway?

Some deadbeat fathers and some deadbeat mothers have money to buy hunting and fishing licenses but not money to support their children. I guess its the taxpayers who should fund their children’s lives??

Many state game and fish departments do not allow “deadbeat” parents to buy recreation licenses unless they are current on their child support and thus attempt to track them by their SSNs. I know it’s not a perfect system but kudos to those states for at least trying.
This is the case in NJ. Plus as someone else posted, they don't sell the information, they use it to verify you as you.

On a daily basis your phone, car, computer, ect tracks everything you do and say. I’m not a fan myself, but the only real option is moving off the grid with as little outside contact as possible. As appealing as that sounds to me, my wife and kids don’t wanna live like that.

Plus it makes me laugh when I think there is someone sitting in a room tracking my life.

Gov employee 1: “Ummm yeah, the guy just hunts, fishes, and is a smartass on HT”.

Gov employee2: “That’s it?”

Gov employee 1: “That’s it.”

It seems like he is using it to monitor every move of American citizens.
Bro… it’s 2022, anyone who gives a shit could buy your driver’s license, SSN, credit card #, and your entire browsing history on the dark web.

No one’s information is even remotely safe, we basically rely on safety of numbers and by things like good passwords and two factor identification to make it a bit more of a PITA… folks are lazy.

Point being, who cares… anyone who is worried about that has an infantile understanding of the world.

Last edited:
I am in the grocery store and google sends me
a message asking me to go next door and take
pictures inside the smoke shop, so they can show it
to other users, HORSE HOCKEY!!
So I shut down google tracking.
I know they are still tracking me, but now they
don't inform me of it. 💥

It seems like he is using it to monitor every move of American citizens.
It seems like there are an ever increasing number of "American citizens" who are feeling paranoid, embarrassed, ashamed, guilty, or otherwise fearful of someone realizing what their behavior looks like. If you have nothing to hide, why so fearful?

It seems like there are an ever increasing number of "American citizens" who are feeling paranoid, embarrassed, ashamed, guilty, or otherwise fearful of someone realizing what their behavior looks like. If you have nothing to hide, why so fearful?
Thanks Straight Arrow for cutting to the chase.
TT- benefits to a ssn? I thought that was obvious...your right as a citizen to go buy weapons and ammunition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back