PEAX Equipment

Disappointed in Leupold

Yep. As has been said, Vortex is the only optics manufacturer doing lifetime warranty on electronics.

I look elsewhere for my scope, bino, spotting scope needs, etc., but Vortex gets my business in the rangefinder category.

Yeah this is pretty common. Do your research before purchasing. As others have said, Vortex seems to be the only ones with lifetime on rangefinders. I have a Leica that I've had for over 15 years with no issue. I've heard good things about Sig also. If I had to buy new, I would probably go with the Vortex or another Leica.

Another Leica owner here. I have used the 800 model for ten years now. I have replaced the battery a few times but that’s about it.

Not sure exactly when I bought my leica. So my guess is around 2005-6. Its been used in tough conditions. Still works great although the rubberized coating on the unit is deteriorating as of a few years ago. if and when I replace it I will go with another Leica.

The Vortex rangefinder/binocular in one unit looks really good considering their warranty.

Do any of you test your rangefinder to see how accurate it is and if so how far?

A few years ago we went to Alaska to go moose hunting. Once we were up there and out where we were hunting. I found out that my Leupold rangefinder had quit working. It was fine two years prior in Wyoming. I put a new battery in it and that was not the problem. When we returned from Alaska and since, I was leaving in a week and a half to go Mule Deer hunting in Idaho. I drove the three hours to Leupold in Beaverton Oregon. They told me basically the same thing the original poster said and would not honor the warrantee. I knew nothing about the warrantee being invalid due to it "being electronic" when the Leupold salesman sold me the unit. They did offer a ridiculous discount on another rangefinder. My wife was with me at the time, she said that sounded like a good deal and I should order one so that I would have it for my Idaho hunt. Which was against my better judgement, but I did not have much time to go shopping and get a different rangefinder. I did purchase a rangefinder while at the factory. If I would of had the time, I would of shopped around and probably gone with the Sig Sauer rangefinder. Last year prior to Covid, I purchased a Leupold Mark 5 Rifle scope for long range target shooting. I had done some research and had decided my new scope would either be a Leupold VX 6 or a Nightforce NXS. The salesman talked me into the Mark 5 scope and was really pushing for it because he said I would get a free Kestrel just by filling out the correct forms. I filled out the online form and waited, and waited and waited. Finally after several e-mails I was told that they had a question and I never replied to them and I was out of luck on the Kestrel. After quite a bit of research, I found that the e-mail they sent to me was placed in my junk mail for being "Firearm related". I explained this to the guy I was talking to and he said there was nothing he could do for me. I did appreciate all his help trying to get me the Kestrel but he said there was nothing he could do for me. Needless to say, I will NOT be purchasing my next anything optical from Leupold ever again and if they want to ask me why, I will be more than happy to tell them why.

Jim Bradbury

Do any of you test your rangefinder to see how accurate it is and if so how far?
I had my Vortex Ranger 1800 out a few weekends ago messing around with it. We were at my in laws who live out on a lake so had more space to test it out compared to being in our neighborhood at home. I was getting readings on smaller “deer size” items out to 300-400 yards (all I really tried to do on objects of that size range wise), was ranging houses across the cove at anywhere from 500-900 yards and finally was able to get the reading on somebody’s boat house at 1550 yards. Came home and checked everything against Google Earth and nothing was more than 1-2 yards off of what Google Earth showed the distances to be.

I have a Leupold RX-1200i TBRW DNA i bought sometime 3 to 5 years ago and couldn't be happier with it, love the red display.

Have had my Leupold range finder maybe 10 yrs now. Never heard anyone mention they were disappointed in Leupold before. My range finder seem's to work well. Maybe I should use it more? Generally I forget it at home!

Have had my Leupold range finder maybe 10 yrs now. Never heard anyone mention they were disappointed in Leupold before. My range finder seem's to work well. Maybe I should use it more? Generally I forget it at home!
Jim Bradbury needs to get a Vortex then send it in every six months when it malfunctions. mtmuley

Have a Leica CRF 1000 that I bought new a few years back...love it! Great optics too. No regrets here.

I've found that the fastest way to get a real response to a service inquiry is to send an email with:

-My Contact info (name, email, address, phone number)
-The model and serial number of the product
-A detailed description of the problem.

Everyone you talk to in the gun/hunting industry is obscenely busy, wait times in call ques are silly. A well-written email to their main contact is probably going to help more than not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back