Disappointed in Leupold

I wanted to pass along a warning to anybody who is looking at purchasing Leupold Rangefinders. It is important to note that the Leupold warranty for rangefinders is different than the warranty on all of their other products. Apparently the warranty is only 2 years since that is considered electronics and not optics. I purchased a RX1000 rangefinder 2-3 years ago and had the display go out on me this season. I called Leupold 3 times asking for assistance and Leupold couldn't be bothered to even return the call. They sell nice scopes, I have Leupold scope on my rifle, and I had hoped for more from them considering it was not a cheap piece of equipment. Apparently this is a fairly common problem with their equipment as I have recently heard of a number of other people who have had the same problem occur to them with the same response by Leupold.

Last edited:
This is the only reason I went with a Vortex rangefinder. They are still silly enough to replace it WHEN it wears out. It’s an electronic device. It’s going to wear out. Maybe that’s bad of me to use a company like that, but if they are still going to warranty it, I’ll go with them. That being said, Leupold will still get my business for most everything else.

Last edited:
Certainly a benefit of going vortex for a rangefinder. I spent a little more for the red display and so far have not been disappointed.

All electronics they have a lifespan...Leupolds warranty explicitly states 2 years on electronic portions. Not sure complaining about it on a forum will get much sympathy

Myself and a lot of others have had great success with Sig Sauer Rangefinders and I believe they carry a 5 year warranty.

Vortex is lifetime so I guess that's probably what you should spend your $ on.

Last edited:
This is the only reason I went with a Vortex rangefinder. They are still silly enough to replace it WHEN it wears out. It’s an electronic device. It’s going to wear out. Maybe that’s bad of me to use a company like that, but if they are still going to warranty it, I’ll go with them. That being said, Leupold will still get my business for most everything else.
This. When I upgrade my rangefinder, I’m going with Vortex. I’m not buying other Vortex products again, but I have a hard time spending a big amount of money on something that doesn’t have a great warranty and has a reasonable chance of having something go wrong with it.

Outside of that, I’ve had great warranty experiences with leupold on binos.

I had a leupold rangefinder earlier this year. They sent me a new/upgraded model at no charge. It was a bit slow for shipping but that was because of corona

I had a leupold rangefinder earlier this year. They sent me a new/upgraded model at no charge. It was a bit slow for shipping but that was because of corona
Yup same for me. Filled out the form online and got an rma for the evaluation and they replaced mine. Pretty sure I was out of or close to the end of the warranty period. but I do know they didn’t ask for any proof of purchase to verify the dates.

Shorter warranty on all electronics sold by optics manufacturers. Neither of my Leica rangerfinders have failed, and one is 13 years old. My dad's Leupold rangefinder failed after 3 years so he was SOL.

Yea Vortex has a good warranty, and thank god because 6 out of the 7 Vortex optics I've owned have broken and needed to be sent back (3 scopes, 2 binos, 1 spotter (3 times...); Vipers and Razors). I baby my equipment and these things are like freaking faberge eggs. 2 were broken on arrival to my house.

Back