Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Diners, Gas Stations, Truck Stops, and Dives

Cowboy Inn in Baggs, Wy. the fatboy burger.

Also whenever I'm hunting or traveling north to my cousins. We eat at el mezcal in wisconsin Rapids. Even if I'm just running up to drop off or pick something up he knows were going to el mezcal for lunch.
The drifters Inn back in the day lots of memories there>>
> how about the floor mopping job around the toilets leaving a 1/8 inch of dust behind the toilet.
> never stayed in a room that didn't have a door that wasn't damaged from being previously pried open
> burn holes in the carpet and bedding

Anyone passing through Pigeon Forge Tennessee should stop at The Apple Barn. Fresh pies by slice or whole, fresh fried apple turnover pies, fresh apple cider hot or cold, and they have a winery as well.

Who else remembers " Belisle's in Orange County, Calif. Now that was a breakfast !!!

At one time, one could eat and drink their way across America on Route 66. Nobody drives 66 anymore and many have closed. Those that still exits, like Sultana,s in Arizona have gotten a bit "commercialized", but still worth a visit.

In Arizona, the Cowboy Club still serves good Elk, Buffalo, Rattlesnake and beef dinners and I like the Prickly Pear Margaritas . I still feel the Phantom Ranch Canteen is worth a visit.

Whenever in Australia, I would whine until my husband took me up to Silky Oak Treehouse lodge and restaurant, just north of Cairns . Eating kangaroo and crocodile in a treehouse where the jungle meets the barrier reef. Loved it !

We flew from Namibia to Victoria Falls Hotel to attend a party that I will never forget. We dressed like they did at the turn of the century--1900, not 2000--(-;--
and had dinner and cocktails on the veranda while watching the game come to the river in the evening. Only wild Africa game was served and it was served in a way where you could take one or two bite size pieces of several animals. 50 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.

Another Africa trip we took, just for the restaurant and/or experience. We flew to Zanzibar and had dinner at the Rock restaurant . The entire rock/island is one building---a restaurant. They had a dish called "Knocking on Heavens door, that our cheese lovers here would enjoy. We had octopus, cign, lobster, king pawns-----(-: ---definitely worth a visit if your in the area.

John Cushman : If you ever go on an Ibex hunt in Spain, take a side trip to The Canary Islands and visit the Bodegas Monje Vineyards. Possibly the only vineyards in the world that offers Sex shows while dining and wine tasting, at their vineyards ;)

Before I check out, I still hope to visit one more winery. Location: Almost North Dakota, Not quite Canada.
Wow, the Rock and Treehouse restaurants are interesting ! It would be fun just getting to them.

Sierra Grande cafe in Des Moines, New Mexico on Hwy 87. I try to stop in there every time I go through on my way to the Colorado mountains if I go through during business hours. I Recommend the Sierra Grande chili burger and a slice of pie.
Wow, I've been through Des Moines but didn't know to stop. Thanks for the heads up for next time.

To add in for New Mexico places, I love Bode's General Store in Abiquiu. Love a breakfast burrito from that place.

Who else remembers " Belisle's in Orange County, Calif. Now that was a breakfast !!!

At one time, one could eat and drink their way across America on Route 66. Nobody drives 66 anymore and many have closed. Those that still exits, like Sultana,s in Arizona have gotten a bit "commercialized", but still worth a visit.

In Arizona, the Cowboy Club still serves good Elk, Buffalo, Rattlesnake and beef dinners and I like the Prickly Pear Margaritas . I still feel the Phantom Ranch Canteen is worth a visit.

Whenever in Australia, I would whine until my husband took me up to Silky Oak Treehouse lodge and restaurant, just north of Cairns . Eating kangaroo and crocodile in a treehouse where the jungle meets the barrier reef. Loved it !

We flew from Namibia to Victoria Falls Hotel to attend a party that I will never forget. We dressed like they did at the turn of the century--1900, not 2000--(-;--
and had dinner and cocktails on the veranda while watching the game come to the river in the evening. Only wild Africa game was served and it was served in a way where you could take one or two bite size pieces of several animals. 50 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.

Another Africa trip we took, just for the restaurant and/or experience. We flew to Zanzibar and had dinner at the Rock restaurant . The entire rock/island is one building---a restaurant. They had a dish called "Knocking on Heavens door, that our cheese lovers here would enjoy. We had octopus, cign, lobster, king pawns-----(-: ---definitely worth a visit if your in the area.

John Cushman : If you ever go on an Ibex hunt in Spain, take a side trip to The Canary Islands and visit the Bodegas Monje Vineyards. Possibly the only vineyards in the world that offers Sex shows while dining and wine tasting, at their vineyards ;)

Before I check out, I still hope to visit one more winery. Location: Almost North Dakota, Not quite Canada.
But do they have midgets? ;)

For MT, I'll second what other's have said:

Trixie's in Ovanda - good bar food
Big Bull Bar in Winston - awesome burgers & fries
The Avon Cafe in Avon - good homecooked style meals
Parkers Restaurant in Drummond - about 527 choices of burgers
Follow 'Yer Nose BBQ in Emigrant - damn good bbq for MT

Wow, I've been through Des Moines but didn't know to stop. Thanks for the heads up for next time.

To add in for New Mexico places, I love Bode's General Store in Abiquiu. Love a breakfast burrito from that place.
Bode's is a jam out there. And such a melting pot of people - hippies, artists, farmers, off-roaders, fishers/hunters, the just passin' throughs - you get a little of everything

If you ever find yourself in Craig, CO. Try Carelli's and order the Colowyo Stromboli.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed if it has I apologize if not I thought it would be fun to highlight some of everyone's favorite check points they hit on their adventures to their hunting destinations.

Guy Fieri has a little show out there that highlights some of America's hidden gems in the restaurant world some of which people would never know they existed without him, besides the locals.

So for those who travel great distances for their adventure or if you hit some small local mom and pop gas station to get some homemade burritos for you head out to the field maybe share some hidden gems. I think these businesses are a prime example of what America is. Unfortunately they seem to be disappearing more and more. As a guy that travels a ton for work I definitely have a short list of places where I stop in my work or hunting travels. Maybe some one reading this that has passed those little hidden gems will think about swinging in and support a little local shop or restaurant.

Could be a Cafe, truck stop, drive in, whatever.....

Share the place and why you stop.

I always hit these couple places-

The Fort in Big Timber (where else can you get a full tank of gas, lunch, a bottle of whiskey and buy a gun)

The Y Stop in Sheridan Wyoming for fuel and food

Little Montana Chuck Wagon in Grass Range MT

Kings Hat in Billings for food, Dash In in Lewistown.

Corner Bar in Baker

Eugene's Pizza in Glasgow

Just thinking before the season gets rolling would be fun to share some spots that guys and gals could hit during their travels out to the great unknowns, anyone else have a favorite spot or two they'd like to share?

Almost September.....
Chappys. Westcliffe Colorado. You Will not regret it. At least not coming out of the Sangres.

Attachments

• 306507E4-E1FD-4D46-A2A3-9E8EDD3E6FDF.jpeg
    306507E4-E1FD-4D46-A2A3-9E8EDD3E6FDF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Try TOAD SUCKS BUCKS in Arkansas.
Almost thought I heard banjos at 1 point.
I backed into my parking spot with a clear line of the exit.
Great food

Bohemian Corner gas station near Roy, MT because in that part of the state it's the only anything for a long ways.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskeyRiver
Back