Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Diners, Gas Stations, Truck Stops, and Dives

Two places that I can remember from travelling with my grandparents when I was a kid which stick out in my mind.

Mollie's Cafe in Snowville. UT.

And there was a place in Thayne, Wyoming where I swear they took the eggs right off the nest and had the hogs hanging in the cooler.

We would stop at Mollie's quite often.

We only went to the place in Thayne once.

I saw the Big Texan in Amarillo mentioned a time or two. Anyone successfully completed the 72 oz steak challenge? I tried once and failed. Made 2 meals out of the leftover steak I couldn't finish.
I read this about the BT. Reminds me there is good people out there. If you have travelled with horses, you know..

With the spectacle of a predawn ride through the carnival Sunday morning on Marsala, the weekend wouldn’t be complete without the grandest spectacle of them all, The Big Texan!
Everybody have your laugh, but I will defend this roadside tourist trap, sanctuary to the weary traveler from days gone by with every part of my proud Texan soul!
I have used this place over the years as a layover for my horses as well as myself when a room was available. A couple of years ago I pulled in sometime after midnight. I was traveling with a horse and headed back home to San Angelo, Texas. It had been a long day and I was fighting sleep and I know my horse was tired. The night manager informed of me no rooms but insisted I rest my horse in a stall or paddock for the night, free of charge. I thanked her kindly and put my horse in an outside run and gave her plenty of feed and hay and water. The manager offered to book me a room at another hotel and I told her I would t leave my horse alone. She offered the couch but I knew I wouldn’t sleep. I parked my rig next to the barn and slept in the back seat. When I woke up the next morning, there was two cups of coffee on the hood of my truck and a note from the manager telling me I had a pretty horse and apologized again for not having a room for me.
The Big Texan might be a circus all it’s own but it still looks out for travelers and their horses. Where else can you layover with your horses, have a nice hotel room(with real coffee mugs)and have prime rib with green hatch creamed corn and beefsteak tomatoes and onions?!
I will always be thankful for the kindness of this place and will give them my business every chance I get.
Never judge a book by its cover. @thebigtexan #thebigtexan #mylifewithhorses #horsesihaveknown #aqha #aqhaproud #horseshowlife #travelingwithhorses #storytelling #storytellers

I read this about the BT. Reminds me there is good people out there. If you have travelled with horses, you know..

With the spectacle of a predawn ride through the carnival Sunday morning on Marsala, the weekend wouldn’t be complete without the grandest spectacle of them all, The Big Texan!
Everybody have your laugh, but I will defend this roadside tourist trap, sanctuary to the weary traveler from days gone by with every part of my proud Texan soul!
I have used this place over the years as a layover for my horses as well as myself when a room was available. A couple of years ago I pulled in sometime after midnight. I was traveling with a horse and headed back home to San Angelo, Texas. It had been a long day and I was fighting sleep and I know my horse was tired. The night manager informed of me no rooms but insisted I rest my horse in a stall or paddock for the night, free of charge. I thanked her kindly and put my horse in an outside run and gave her plenty of feed and hay and water. The manager offered to book me a room at another hotel and I told her I would t leave my horse alone. She offered the couch but I knew I wouldn’t sleep. I parked my rig next to the barn and slept in the back seat. When I woke up the next morning, there was two cups of coffee on the hood of my truck and a note from the manager telling me I had a pretty horse and apologized again for not having a room for me.
The Big Texan might be a circus all it’s own but it still looks out for travelers and their horses. Where else can you layover with your horses, have a nice hotel room(with real coffee mugs)and have prime rib with green hatch creamed corn and beefsteak tomatoes and onions?!
I will always be thankful for the kindness of this place and will give them my business every chance I get.
Never judge a book by its cover. @thebigtexan #thebigtexan #mylifewithhorses #horsesihaveknown #aqha #aqhaproud #horseshowlife #travelingwithhorses #storytelling #storytellers
Bless your heart...

I've seen it out of the passenger & driver's side hundreds of times coming and going...have two BIL's who polished the challenge off with room to spare, both ectomorphs, both horsemen, one a jockey. Never been in the place and have never heard that particular characterization @2rocky....cool story.

We always catch the Big Texan on our way back from Chama. It's tradition, and a perfect place to stop for dinner. We usually leave Chama about 7 am, and make it to the Big Texan for 5, eat our usual ribeye, then continue on for 2 more hours to Quanah where we spend the night. At that point we are about half-way home to New Orleans. Never been disappointed, food was good, and the atmosphere welcoming.

Trainer’s Midway Diner, Bethel Pennsylvania. Off the Midway exit of route 78. Been there since the early 1950’s, before the interstate was built, when it was just a two lane road. It‘s “Midway” between Harrisburg and Allentown Pennsylvania. Just good old restaurant food, nothing fancy, but good and friendly. Truck stop, adjoining hotel. I always try to stop there on my way home from Allentown. Pies and cake baked there. 18204ACF-ECBB-4678-A2D5-8C3B65908E77.jpeg

I’ve always liked the Edelweiss on 120 in (near, not in) Powell, Wy. Not because it has good food or atmosphere or any real standout qualities but because he have some good memories at the place coming off the river after a days fishing with a bunchve degenerates.

the silver spur cafe is my favorite breakfast/lunch place in sheridan, their heart attack platter is incredible. for supper the pony bar and grill is a great burger joint.

I had a customer in the shop couple years ago. She just moved here to the DC area from Colorado. I asked her what area and she said near the petrified forest. I told her there's a little restaurant not far from there that's a place I like to stop at when I'm on a ride. A little biker type hole in the wall on the corner of the next intersection and she said she knew it well, not far from her home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back