PEAX Equipment

Dillon, Montana Elk Units 328, 329, 302

TN VOL

Gun season is fast approaching! I wanted to get opinions on elk hunting Montana elk units 329, 328, & 302. I’ve done a lot e scouting for several months and I’ve never stepped foot in any of them. I’ve noticed that 329 isn’t as rugged but more forested than 328 & 302. My question is would you guys focus on more forested terrain for hunting opening rifle or the more open rugged terrain? My initials thoughts were there would be more hunters in the open terrain units, Just curious to see what your guys’ approach would be..
Thanks!

All three districts hold a good number of elk and hunters. I would keep your focus on finding good access points, being the early bird, hunting the middle of the week and going further than other hunters. As for the terrain, my experience is you'll need to hunt it first to pattern and locate the elk.

TN VOL,

did you end up hunting this unit? I am also contemplating switching from hunting NW MT more so the SW corner.

SW MT has a higher Density of Elk and a higher density of hunters.

I hunted 329 for a week during archery and a week during rifle. Had elk encounters on both trips, but the area was absolutely overrun with hunters. I counted one group of archery hunters bugle 40+ times in under 2 hours as they worked up the mountain from below me in the middle of the day. During rifle I had 2 guys from South Dakota walk by me at 75 yards as I sat on the edge of a clearing. They then decided to set up for the evening 200 yards away from me. Public land “combat hunting” at its best!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back