MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Did you lose your shotgun..or..know someone that lost their shotgun??

Not a Merkel. I have one of those and they do have side clips and Greener crossbolts, but the top lever is all wrong. I think it is of recent manufacture. But not a Merkel, not a CZ, not an Uggie. Somewhere I've seen that emblem, I think.

Mtnhunter1, was it scratched up a bit like it bounced off the back of a pick-up?

The double headed eagle emblem tells me it is likely Austrian or Russian make. Possibly even Serbian. The double eagle icon dates back to Mesopotamia but became more prominent as a symbol of Byzantine Empire. It symbolizes mastery over an empire with eagle's eyes watching over east and west. The Holy Roman Empire inherited it from Byzantine and Austria became the final seat of HRE before dissolution (WWI I think). Russia claimed inheritance of the symbol because they protected the eastern orthodox Christian sect of the Byzantine empire. If it is Russian there should be lettering in their Cyrillic alphabet stamped somewhere I would think. Look for it in proof marks.

Last edited:
Yes, I've lost three shotguns. One in a lake, one left leaning on the truck as I left the lake and one in a fire. None as nice as that one but keep looking.

Not a Merkel. I have one of those and they do have side clips and Greener crossbolts, but the top lever is all wrong. I think it is of recent manufacture. But not a Merkel, not a CZ, not an Uggie. Somewhere I've seen that emblem, I think.

Mtnhunter1, was it scratched up a bit like it bounced off the back of a pick-up?
Gun was laying in the center of the road. Typical narrow mountain logging road for Western MT. If I had to guess, I'd say that the gun was leaned up against the tailgate and forgotten about when the owner drove off. Then there were several snow squalls that morning that covered the gun.

I was up top looking for a muley all day and noticed an unusual light reflection as I drove out well after dark. Very surprised to find the gun when I stopped to investigate.

Had to make a quick run home to take care of a few work related items, wash clothes and resupply for the remainder of the season. No sense letting the gun rust from the melted snow, so I cleaned and oiled it before it went into the safe.

Yes, the gun was fully loaded and "off" safe. Guessing that several dozen road hunter rigs had drove over the gun throughout the day.

Will pass on the gun's info to the local Sheriff's office for the possible serial number lookup.

Hoping that the owner will be found sooner or later as the gun sure ain't a Mossberg and will be missed.

For those hunting the last week of the MT season, good luck and be safe. I'll check in to HT when I have cell service.

My guess would be it is an old Steyr shotgun. Steyr was.formerly known as Austrian Gun Manufacturing (in German language if course).

If you contact the local Sheriffs Office see if they have etrace. Its basically a back search for firearms and will start from the manufacturer to the distributor, dealer and original purchaser. I actually used it some time back to locate the owner of a firearm in a similar situation. We dont use it a lot at our agency, but it does come in handy.

The double headed eagle emblem tells me it is likely Austrian or Russian make. Possibly even Serbian. The double eagle icon dates back to Mesopotamia but became more prominent as a symbol of Byzantine Empire. It symbolizes mastery over an empire with eagle's eyes watching over east and west. The Holy Roman Empire inherited it from Byzantine and Austria became the final seat of HRE before dissolution (WWI I think). Russia claimed inheritance of the symbol because they protected the eastern orthodox Christian sect of the Byzantine empire. If it is Russian there should be lettering in their Cyrillic alphabet stamped somewhere I would think. Look for it in proof marks.
Damnnn

Yes, well ...

What I find perplexing is why would CZ choose the double headed eagle for a logo? The Czech crest is a single headed eagle. The CZ factory is located in Moravia, Czech Republic. Moravia was a "crown land" of Austria-Hungary until 1918 when the two countries were separated after WWI. The CZ factory is located in a town whose name literally translates as "the river ford to Hungary." The "dual monarchy" relationship between Austria and Hungary prior to separation was that of a partnership forced on Austria after losing an earlier war with Prussia (which became Germany). There was a lot of resentment among both Austrians and Hungarians. I seem to recall the Hungarians also baled on Austria and Germany during WWI (edit: yes, but only eleven days before Armistice). So, by adopting the Austrian imperial logo were the founders of CZ wanting to make sure everyone knew their company was NOT Hungarian (Czechoslovokia's new border in 1919 extended well into northern Hungary)? Perhaps a demonstration of allegiance to their disgraced and fallen former landlord?

Last edited:
Anyone from Lake County that knows a local State Trooper that might have lost his "or" her shotgun? Left my info at the local Sheriff's office so that he "or" she could contact me to get the gun back. Have not heard anything yet!

Anyone from Lake County that knows a local State Trooper that might have lost his "or" her shotgun? Left my info at the local Sheriff's office so that he "or" she could contact me to get the gun back. Have not heard anything yet!

Grade - H.S... Principle's paddle had holes drilled for psychological aerodynamic Babe Ruth swings.
I was an honor student...

A lost shotgun? I'd prefer certified honor student over the repercussion of a misplaced shotgun. Ouch!

Surprised Sheriff's did not collect.

Grade - H.S... Principle's paddle had holes drilled for psychological aerodynamic Babe Ruth swings.
I was an honor student...

A lost shotgun? I'd prefer certified honor student over the repercussion of a misplaced shotgun. Ouch!

Surprised Sheriff's did not collect
I walked into the Sheriff's office to provide the gun's info and they said that a State Trooper from Lake CO had reported the loss of a shotgun. My response...are you F'n kidding me?? I left all of my contact info there so that it could be passed on to the owner. That was a week ago and no contact as of yet. My guess is that the Sheriff's department must have "misplaced" my info or could not find the original report on the lost gun. I guess that a follow up phone call is in order for today. So sooner or later, the shotgun will be returned to the owner.......or.......the Trooper looked at the gun's info and it was not the gun that was lost? Can't even imagine more than one shotgun being lost but who knows?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back