Caribou Gear

Did you lose your shotgun..or..know someone that lost their shotgun??

Mtnhunter1

**FOUND** this shotgun laying in the middle of a mountain road, in western Montana, this past weekend.

PM me if this is yours or know of the person that lost it.

Don't worry if I do not answer the PM immediately as I am headed back into the hills until the season ends. But rest assured, I have fully cleaned and oiled the gun and placed it into the safe.

PS: You will have to provide me with the firearms info, the road that it was lost and the shells that were in the chambers. Then you will have to explain to me how the gun ended up laying in the middle of the road, fully loaded and "OFF" safe!

Found in Western Montana.jpg

That’s looks like a very nice gun. How many guesses do I get to answer all of your questions? 😁

Hopefully someone who knows someone can tell someone that someone found their lost shotgun.😃

What a great community of honorable people on this forum. Hopefully you find the very grateful (and very embarrassed) owner. Glad you were the one who found it!! Could have ended badly if an inexperienced person (or kid) stumbled upon it.

**FOUND** this shotgun laying in the middle of a mountain road, in western Montana, this past weekend.

PM me if this is yours or know of the person that lost it.

Don't worry if I do not answer the PM immediately as I am headed back into the hills until the season ends. But rest assured, I have fully cleaned and oiled the gun and placed it into the safe.

PS: You will have to provide me with the firearms info, the road that it was lost and the shells that were in the chambers. Then you will have to explain to me how the gun ended up laying in the middle of the road, fully loaded and "OFF" safe!

View attachment 202689
You might look into state laws, some states have laws requiring reporting lost/stolen firearms, they might have reported it missing to the sheriff.

Reminds me of when my students found a shotgun in the Spokane River during a clean up event. I was hoping the police would share the story if they found it, but no….

I followed a guy ten miles down a mountain road in the dark one hunting season. Tried to keep a respectful distance so couldn't figure out what was laying on top of his rear bumper.
Until I did.
Glad I didn't run over his hunting rifle.

Well, isn't this a timely thread! I started to hunt my favorite place this afternoon but didn't make it a hundred yards when I spied a hunter coming towards me with his dog. His vehicle was parked a couple of miles back down the road so totally unexpected. Of course I did the right thing. Loaded Ellie back in the Jimmy and took off for the far end of the lake. Got to my second favorite spot, unloaded the dog, and opened the passenger door to grab my A5. Uh oh ... it's not in the vehicle! OMG I must have taken off with gun leaning against the fender when I unlocked the door. It's a good thing I changed my mind and decided to go south instead of north or I would have backed over the gun. As it was I actually turned away from it. Tumbled into a nice bed of grass on the edge of the road. Not a scratch ... or rather no new ones anyway. And yes, the gun was still loaded but SAFETY ON. One of three elder moments today. Not sure how much longer I'll be able to continue hunting. What planet is this? Why am I not wearing pants ... in a bar? Where are my keys? What are they for? Perhaps it's best if continue hunting alone.

@BrentD did you come to Montana and not stop to say hi? 🤣
:) :)

Nope. I just did inventory to be sure. All my guns are present and accounted for. I could do something like that. But not yet, and not in Montana.

I don't recognize the make of gun, but side clips and a Greener 3rd fastener and that distinctive top lever will make it easy to place. Someone is not going to be happy this morning.

Mtnhunter1, perhaps you could call the Sheriff's office and see if anyone has been asking about it.

Ive been trying to I’d the gun also. I chewed Tobacco for 54 years, quit two years ago, I buy a nice gun a year as my reward. This year it’s going to be another nice double gun. Been doing a lot of research, haven’t come across anything like that yet.
The sheriffs office might be able to run the numbers back to the original sale/import. Would depend on how long ago it was first sold. It’s a single trigger with a greener cross bolt. Merkle perhaps. Also, once they enter it into the system it will pop up if another agency reports it lost or stolen. Our intrepid friend gets home finally finds the serial number and calls the locals, they enter it and it’s already located kind of thing.

Back