Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Did Mountain Goats EVER live in California?

2rocky

The furthest south that I have seen Goats is in Colorado.

Curious if their range ever included the 10,000 ft plus peaks in the Sierra.

Any thoughts from the WIldlife Biologists on here?

All the populations south of Montana, Idaho, and Washington were introduced. Even a lot of the populations in those states aren't native.

EVER is a long, long time. MDunc posted the common belief. Who knows for sure?

I have thought about the natural southern range of the Rocky Mountain Goat. I believe, studying mountain ranges in Idaho, where I live, the extreme southern range of naturally occuring goat herds would be in the south part of the Pioneer Mountains, which are east of Hailey.

Thats exactly right. The biggest herd in Montana isn't even native.

ddj

Native to Montana.;)

Goats are boring.;)

38-2.jpg

In A Beast he Color of Winter Douglas Chadwick tells of two types of North American mountain goats, Oreamnos americanus and Oreamnos barrintoni. Barringoni was a smaller goat that established ranges south of modern mountain goat range and included California, as well as Nevada, Arizona and Mexico.

I was just at the top of Ruby dome in NV (11,387'), and they give 2 tags out for billy's in that NV range. That's on the same level as CA, but I think they were introduced. We didn't get any glass on goats, but it wasn't for lack of trying... spent more time behind glass looking for them than I did hiking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back