Did I strike it rich?

Curtis.mullin

I was looking at craigslist a few nights ago and found this pure bred lab with papers being given away, so my wife called about him. I need to do a little research on his breeding, but basically he is an intact male that just turned 3 with papers, weighs 90lbs and is pure muscle. So yesterday we went and looked at him; we took the kids with us and he is a big baby, house trained, with basic obedience training. He retrieves a ball like a machine, I can get him to “whoa” and when I took out my shotgun he seemed to get a little excited, not nervous. When I asked if he hunted at all the owners said that he had done some upland and that as a puppy he had been given antlers to chew which led to him retrieving antlers on hikes. I still need to ensure that he is not gun shy, but I had him in the garage with me and started my Harley up and he just looked at me and wagged his tail.
I am not sure yet but I may have truly lucked out with this guy. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Here are a couple of Pictures of Max. The weird thing is when I was a kid my grandparents had a yellow lab, same size and color who was named Max as well.

Attachments

• 2014-06-04 18.18.55.jpg
    2014-06-04 18.18.55.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 562
  • 2014-06-04 18.19.32.jpg
    2014-06-04 18.19.32.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 571
but I had him in the garage with me and started my Harley up and he just looked at me and wagged his tail.

Can't beat a good hawg dawg.:)

Good looking lab for sure.

Yeah you scored. The hip displacia is a real problem, is he tall? My black lab is 90 pounds but he is tall and lengthy and proportional. If Max is 90 pounds and short, I would recommend leaning him out just a little as jumping, running and hunting isn't real conducive towards hip health. But hunting will get him in shape quick.

I think you scored big time. He's gorgeous. Not sure if you have gun trained a dog before, but take it slow, very very slow.

He is 26" inches at the shoulder, and he is very proportionate all over. I spoke with the AKC today, "I am trying to track down his breeders" and they told me both parents eyes and hips checked out excellent. I want to do some pedigree research and see where he comes from. My kids love him and he really is a gentle giant. I am headed out tonight to expose him to a little gunfire and I will let you know how we make out.

. I spoke with the AKC today, "I am trying to track down his breeders" and they told me both parents eyes and hips checked out excellent. I want to do some pedigree research and see where he comes from. My kids love him and he really is a gentle giant.

Wonderful news

So I took him out tonight and he was rock solid at the shot. He marked the birds and even wanted to retrieve them. I am so happy and he has the best disposition. I think we were really really lucky to find him.

That boy is built like a tank.

Excellent companion you have there!

Keeping him lean will help keep him healthy.

That boy is built like a tank.

Excellent companion you have there!

Keeping him lean will help keep him healthy.

What he said. Great looking dog.

It really pains me to see so many fat hunting dogs out there. Most 90 pound labs should be about 75. He doesn't look too bad, but I've always kept my lab pretty lean. You want to be able to see a nice tucked waist on them, and be able to feel ribs.

His joints will thank you endlessly as he ages if you keep him nice and trim.

What he said. Great looking dog.

It really pains me to see so many fat hunting dogs out there. Most 90 pound labs should be about 75. He doesn't look too bad, but I've always kept my lab pretty lean. You want to be able to see a nice tucked waist on them, and be able to feel ribs.

His joints will thank you endlessly as he ages if you keep him nice and trim.

That is what is strange with him, as large as he is, you can see ribs and his waist. He is just a really solid dog. I feel super lucky to have found him.

Max worked great at the training grounds yesterday evening. He has a great disposition and Mullin's kids love him. Max won the lottery; that's for sure. It will be a fun summer and fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back