Did I say we have too many deer?

devon deer

This was the result of a day out with some mates, and we haven't really made a dent in the population, all Fallow deer, there has been an explosion since Covid (obviously we couldn't go hunting) and in the future the government is looking into solutions in how the populations can be reduced, I think we have done our bit already.
Cheers
RichardIMG-20221104-WA0006.jpg

Great freezer filler or are you obligated/choose to donate?
I believe, if I recall, you're hold a unique Govt position to aid culling?
Fallow meat any different than whitetail? Good ground and rump roast?

Great freezer filler or are you obligated/choose to donate?
I believe, if I recall, you're hold a unique Govt position to aid culling?
Fallow meat any different than whitetail? Good ground and rump roast?
My freezer is rammed, I barter, and also sell to the game dealer, but he is full up so I've found another outlet.
I'm not involved in the thing I believe you are referring to, up in Scotland I believe.
I prefer whitetail!

I am curious why you said "obviously we couldn't go hunting". Hunting did not stop here for Covid and in fact brought more people into the woods.
It was during full lockdown, then the restaurants/pubs took ages to buy in venison etc so there was no market, therefore no hunting.
We have a completely different model in the UK to the US, we can sell on our excess carcasses

Cheers
Richard

Question- what's the preferred shot to take on game in the UK?

I was watching that meateater episode a while back where ol' Steve went to chase red hind in Scotland, and the gamekeeper seemed to give the impression that head shots were preferred, especially when I looked at all the carcasses hanging.

Question- what's the preferred shot to take on game in the UK?

I was watching that meateater episode a while back where ol' Steve went to chase red hind in Scotland, and the gamekeeper seemed to give the impression that head shots were preferred, especially when I looked at all the carcasses hanging.
I am firmly against taking head shots, too much can go wrong.
I prefer heart/lung shot, or if within 75 yards rear or front on neck shots, but I would say 99% are heart/lung
Cheers
Richard

Back