Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Diamond butte look out tower in Custer national forest

XX1

Has anyone hunted up in the Custer national forest. We are going up this November and looking for any help about this area and information for any good block management area any one can recommend. Thanks Glenn

Do a search of this site for the Custer. There are thousands of posts on the Custer.
The Custer has gone down hill plenty since the turn of the century, Lot of hunters and fewer deer, Big bucks are few and far between. If you are just looking to fill your tag on a small 4 or 3 point you should do ok just about any place on the forest. If you want a heavy antlered 170 buck. good luck. Could happen but not very likely.

Don’t listen to these Debbie Downers. The hunt of your lifetime awaits you in #mySEMT. Should be able to spot numerous great bucks right from Diamond Butte. The great thing is that you can drive right to the top and glass from there. Bloom creek road is rarely used and you should find a great camping spot along that road for your hunt. I’d suggest late November - they’ll really be rutting. Best of luck to you, Friendo.

Don’t listen to these Debbie Downers. The hunt of your lifetime awaits you in #mySEMT. Should be able to spot numerous great bucks right from Diamond Butte. The great thing is that you can drive right to the top and glass from there. Bloom creek road is rarely used and you should find a great camping spot along that road for your hunt. I’d suggest late November - they’ll really be rutting. Best of luck to you, Friendo.
Good time to fill 6 mule deer doe tags too

Glenn, I can't recommend any one area or even two because there are so many good ones by diamond butte. I would worry more about your taxidermist bill after the season than where to hunt because it's going to be a big one. I would wish you good luck but in that area you don't need any.

Greenhorn is mostly right about Diamond but why Camp on Bloom Creek. You could pull your camper right up to the top of Diamond and camp there. Have to differ on November. Been some mighty fine dear's on Diamond but as I remember they had move off the end of summer so you have better get there early.

OP, there is some genuinely good information in these threads:

It looks like you've been planning this trip for quite a while. Good luck!

Don’t forget to stop into the Diamond Butte coffee and gift shop. It’s their busy season but I heard the latte is worth the wait.

HAHAHAHA these guys always flame the custer questions . Yes there is good hunting there . No you wont see them from the road . Yes you can find decent bucks no you wont break any records . Find a place to camp and get off the road . On X helps a lot to stay off private .

Here is a link to my little story .

Reactions: LCH
HAHAHAHA these guys always flame the custer questions . Yes there is good hunting there . No you wont see them from the road . Yes you can find decent bucks no you wont break any records . Find a place to camp and get off the road . On X helps a lot to stay off private .

To quote somebody else on "decent" or respectable bucks..

Seem to me that many guys idea of respectable has decreased quite a bit since I started hunting

Although I get it that non-residents want to come shoot some deer, but you cannot kid anybody about those bucks in your post being "decent" bucks. Does decent mean they have antlers?

I'm gonna go with....... ahh he's decent but a little weak on the forks....nice frame on him though.... oh well. Were not going home empty handed.

Attachments

• Mule-Deer-Buck-3096-Edit.jpg
    Mule-Deer-Buck-3096-Edit.jpg
    910 KB · Views: 57
Most deer in that country hardly make it past this stage anymore, the 2 and 3 year old potentials get the hurt put on them. Pretty bad deal..........

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 39
Although I get it that non-residents want to come shoot some deer, but you cannot kid anybody about those bucks in your post being "decent" bucks. Does decent mean they have antlers?

I was talking to a couple of hunters on the Custer about 20 years ago, not long after a certain Eastman's article was published. Two dudes from Missoula shot a couple of small three points. One of them said "we used to see really good bucks in here, now all we shoot are deer like this". The irony was striking. I'm not denigrating anyone's right and ability to harvest what is legal to harvest, but if you desire trophies, a little self control might help.

I'm a pretty opportunistic hunter, but I'm also pragmatic enough to realize how my actions play into the bigger picture.

Non-residents and residents, usually western Montana guys starting from Bozeman and moving west and some locals as well. A lot of the guys complaining used to give info freely. Then Newberg came in with his knock out punch. And here we are.

Certainly nobody from Billings or east of Bozeman had anything to do with that thought, right - all the western MT guys. Anybody with a phone still can and always could call the FWP and USFS offices and get solid specific info on where to hunt the Custer as far back as I know..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back