Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Diamond butte look out tower in Custer national forest

No, Billings people don't do that, we just shit pound the Bulls and crowd the N BAR ......... no info shared.

I saw Newberg and his gang while I was there one year then the next year got much harder to draw tags. I have seen some really big Bucks but they we're smart enough to stay on private land and I refuse to trespass . I also got eyes on a couple big ones on public but I must be too green to get close to them because they vanish every time I think I'm close enough to start thinking about a shot . As for us non residents I'm sorry the residents despise us I hope if we ever meet you would change your mind about some of us .

The frustration boils down to a general rut hunt with no limitations. Nothing to do with non residents or residents just bad management. And then we point fingers like I just did. What we are doing isn’t sustainable some of us can see it and some of us can’t.

I'm a pretty opportunistic hunter, but I'm also pragmatic enough to realize how my actions play into the bigger picture.

With JLS's wisdom in mind I take full responsibility for posting this picture of the shed I found last year. With bucks like this one surviving the season it is no wonder that hunters are flocking to the Custer for their chance at a decent buck.
The exact locating of where I found this antler on the Custer is a closely held secret.

Attachments

• DSCN1920.JPG
    DSCN1920.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
The frustration boils down to a general rut hunt with no limitations. Nothing to do with non residents or residents just bad management. And then we point fingers like I just did. What we are doing isn’t sustainable some of us can see it and some of us can’t.
nailed it

Pretty entertaining thread going on here. I thought I would add my thoughts and find a map of good mule deer habitat in Montana. I really don't understand why everyone is all about the Custer, but I will stick my foot in my mouth before I talk about the rest of the state.
\111373

Last edited:
I am just worried that SE
I know of a lot of good mule deer habitat that is sorely lacking for mule deer. It is a crying shame really. Actually the crying shame is that most people don't seem to care.
Some people actually like to see deer when they hunt deer. There in lies the Custer's attraction. Years ago much of south west MT had similar deer hunting to what the Custer has now. Where they went is an unsolvable mystery.
I am worried that SE Montana is headed down the same path as SW Montana. Like Timmy said. Current management is not sustainable.

For the first time in 15 years I didn't even apply for a deer tag in MT. For the $$ it has fallen pretty far down the list of places to go for the $$ vs chances of shooting a 165+ deer. It is sad what has happened to the hunting there.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back