Devaluing Non-Residents

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have no intention of hunting California so you don't care to advocate there. Is that not what you said?
No I did not. I specifically did not use the word hunt because that's not what it's about. It's just my pure unacceptance of how I view CA and how it operates as a state. So I plan to never once even drive through CA if I can help it and as a result.

I said it before and I'll say it again...dump your points in the western states, stop buying them unless you are trying to get to a certain level and then cash them on one a last hunt. Stop giving these states your hunting and your vacation dollars. Leave the hunting to the locals and call it a day. Then and only then will you know the answer to your question.
Exactly, just quit whining and crying like a bunch of babies and make that decision. I have come to that point as of last year. I've got more acres and water than I can roam in a lifetime within an hour of me. I'm glad I was able to experience some great days in the wilds out West. Hopefully within five years I will be outta points to burn.

Never hunted Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, Washington, Arizona, or New Mexico but I still care about the game management and access in each of the states. I have no aspirations about ever hunting half of the states I listed, but I may want to take a camping trip there and cast a line once or twice in my life and it would be cool to see some well managed wildlife while I'm there.

Why are so many hunters only interested in things they can blow a hole in? As conservationists shouldn't we be invested in conservation for conservations sake.
I can relate to this

The thread was only poorly chosen to use Wyoming as an example - a foolish move. The thread is about what happens to western big game hunting in general if NR prices continue to soar across the west.
If you read the article, that's what they used so I used it as an example...

And @rjthehunter As far as buzz goes. He completely understands that I think he comes across as a total ass. I sent him a link on how to not be an asshole so he would be aware.
That being said it doesn't mean I can't agree with him some of the time and disagree with him some of the time or still think he is an ass some of the time for that matter. Just like half the people on here probably think I'm an ass some of the time. Just like I think your a whiny wind bag of an ass some of the time who just wants to start arguments.
I’ve made it this far reading all of Buzz’s comments without putting my nose where it don’t belong…

This whole thread is like reality tv or something, and you are one of my most favorite characters on this show 😂😂😂

Damn you crack me up dude!

I don’t really understand what this fight is about.Residents want more and easier/cheaper….or free.
Non residents feel they are not shown much respect and contribute a lot more than the residents.
One thing I know for sure,if non residents pay more, the residents will one day too.
And to the mean people here,on my one and only nonresident hunt,I met lots of nice locals.Treated me with respect and with a smile.Very thankful for that.

How much of the Meateater article stems from a true passion for big game hunting and how much for killing bucks and bulls to sell product and post on their social media pages for likes and ego affirming/boosting comments?

Would have been nice had they took some of the blame and responsibility for the very stuff they were complaining about in the article.

Why do they continue to raise NR prices then? It's just a middle finger to people who are supporting the state and local businesses...
I believe it is called greed!😁

I also believe they justify it by saying (or thinking) it may slow down tag sales. It doesn't.

People in this country have so much disposable wealth it is incredible.

The Western states can triple the tag fees and there will still be wealthy people smiling at the fact that the pool has now given the folks with the most $ the advantage... and they will continue to line up by the tens of thousands.

Last edited:
The solution to NR hunting or anything concerning management is.
A:print only the licenses you can afford,regarding harvestable numbers and to limit overcrowding. Not only thinking about the amount of money you want to make. It becomes a sale that way or greed.
B:Overcrowding is a result of too many tags in a short period of time.
Don’t do two consecutive weeks at a time,have a break in between.
C:Limit the harvest of antelope to one every 2 or 3 years,for non residents.
Even on private land.
And finally we as hunters have to realize we can’t have it all to ourselves. There is not enough space.Or animals.
And if possible make access to the enclosed public land easier.
If the public cannot cross private,then it shouldn’t become part of the landowners hunting grounds.
Simply close it to all hunting.
That might change some landowners thinking.

This thread really illustrates to me where the recruitment and drive to create advocates takes a hard right turn and nose dives off the canyon into the abyss. Advocacy for wildlife and the resource is quickly mixed up with Advocacy for oneself’s hunting resource. It’s a simple mix up that I would postulate is more the norm than the exception and why after “record” western hunting demand in the last half decade, it still seems to me very few ever actually “show up” to advocate for the resource.

The $ problem facing NR is in every state . Here in my state of N.C. a sportsman's license cost me about $50-$75 but for a NR to just deer or black bear hunt is several times more . I deer hunt my cousin's farm in Ohio now cost me 1 deer license what I just a few years ago could buy 3 deer tags . So I guess what I'm saying is to enjoy my passion , I have to be willing to pay more $$$$$ or stay within your state .

This thread really illustrates to me where the recruitment and drive to create advocates takes a hard right turn and nose dives off the canyon into the abyss. Advocacy for wildlife and the resource is quickly mixed up with Advocacy for oneself’s hunting resource. It’s a simple mix up that I would postulate is more the norm than the exception and why after “record” western hunting demand in the last half decade, it still seems to me very few ever actually “show up” to advocate for the resource.
Hope that we can continue to have more threads about advocacy and what we need to do.

As someone who previously fell into the camp of "hunting is conservation" i have come to find that it isnt. And as ive said before and in my intro to the forum - my goal is to contribute more and take less.

People who want to be informed advocates need a hand, not pushed away. People who don't show up that need to, need convinced to do so - not belittled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back