Caribou Gear Tarp

Desert ELK in IDAHO

ELKCHASER

I am going to try to hunt the Desert this year ( Snake River Zone ) Units 63 and 53. Looks like a lot of these elk live year round in the desert and skip in and out of the INEEL. Anyone tried this hunt? Can elk live in lava fields?

Thanks for any info, work and the navy make it so that this is the best hunt for me this year, although I would rather hunt the timberline.

ELK CHASER

A 400 class bull was killed in 99 near Manti, south of Twin Falls, out in the sage flats. Its a good unit or so I've been told. Contact the big dairy farms for info. Until last year when the new unit was created they had the most depredation complaints so I'm pretty sure access won't be an issue if you call ahead.

Erik, South of Twin Falls is not in that unit. Unit 53 is a FLAT unit with LOTS of holes for elk and deer to hide in. If a guy had a plane to locate them you might have a chance. The farmers I know will never allow access. But no access to private land is not the problem. The main problem is the TOPOGRAPHY of the unit. There is just no hills to get up on to see anything. The big bull that was killed there was out of a silage pit by the owner of the farm. A friend of mine had his bull in the taxidermy shop at the same time as this bull. The cape of this 400 class bull ended up on my friends elk. The capes were switched back and all went well. But I am sure when I say the story I heard was this bull was killed by a woman in a silage pit on private land. This has been a open hunt for elk for a LONG time. I live only 10 minutes from the unit and I don't hunt there.
Ron

ol cutthroat gonna give them desert elk a run this year a buddy hunts them and deer out there. So we shall see at least it will be some different scenery I just hate having to look at the sawtooths all day long when hunting LOL Let ya all know when we scout what we find etc.

the trick is to get into them the first day or two , cuz after that they turn completely nocturnal, and be prepared for lots of hunters drivin around, and know the INEEL boundaries well, the guys with private land connections do well for the first few days good luck h2m

HI TBone,
I like to private pm you but I don't think I have enough posts. I have a Snake River A Tag this year. I'd like to hear what you have to say. I know it has been a long time since your post but pm me please. Along with anyone else.
Buddy! 21 year old thread necro? If there was a prize for this, you'd certainly be blue ribbon material. How old were you when this thread started?

HI TBone,
I like to private pm you but I don't think I have enough posts. I have a Snake River A Tag this year. I'd like to hear what you have to say. I know it has been a long time since your post but pm me please. Along with anyone else.
Welcome to HT.

Resurrecting a 21yr old thread is an impressive introduction.

I hunt huns, quail and pheasants in 53. Aug 1 - Dec 31 short range weapons only. See elk once in a while. Gives you a long season.

Back