Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Denver area bike shops?

it's pretty much a fact, at least in colorado, that if you own a mt bike you're statistically a 49 year old overweight dad who's having a mid life crisis.
My FIL is 73, over-weight, and rides a 3k full suspension mountain bike 3-5 days a week... on what amounts to gravel roads.

maybe i just hit the trend early. i ditched my mt bike in high school for a road bike, raced for a few years in college, then became obsessed with trail running, did a few races. now i just piss and moan about everything while working on the yard.

kid isn't even born yet...

holy shit.
Sounds like you've been training for year.

Don't forget to brush up on the vocab

My FIL is 73, over-weight, and rides a 3k full suspension mountain bike 3-5 days a week... on what amounts to gravel roads.

i will say, at least at 73, that dudes getting out and doing something, consistently.

i will say, at least at 73, that dudes getting out and doing something, consistently.
Yes. And at some point that'll be my mountain bike. But still it's ridiculous.

When he upgraded from an old '90s trek hardtail, he gushed non-stop about how much better a 1x gearing was than the old 3x... All I could think is that I've never had a problem with a 3x, it takes like 1/2 a braincell to figure out what you're about to do and which front gear you'll need.

road biking, gravel biking, running and trail running are literally all i do lol.

when it's about fitness instead of pure fun, it becomes tons of fun ;)

getting out twice a week on the mt bike has little fitness value, and therefore, hard for me to find value in it honestly.

i won't deny it is fun though.
I definitely bike less out here... trails are more technical and I've
almost died enough times
wrecking/ getting hit by cars, etc. that I'm less into it. I still go a couple days a week on rest days from running. Where I grew up had a bunch of rides that were essentially long climbs that I really enjoyed... then a bunch of candy asses from Denver moved up and they over built the shit out of the trail and ride down the up portion of the trail.... :rolleyes:

I definitely bike less out here... trails are more technical and I've

wrecking/ getting hit by cars, etc. that I'm less into it. I still go a couple days a week on rest days from running. Where I grew up had a bunch of rides that were essentially long climbs that I really enjoyed... then a bunch of candy asses from Denver moved up and they over built the shit out of the trail and ride down the up portion of the trail.... :rolleyes:

this what really started chapping my ass about mountain biking. i had a handful of friends during college that suddenly got really into mountain biking, started buying something called "enduro" bikes.

me being no longer a part of the mtb community i kept wondering wtf they were talking about. turns out it's just another form of DH that makes you "feel" like you're actually mountain biking a little more than just DH.

mtb clearly started turning into something cool because red bull got involved and companies started making mountain bikes that were essentially nothing but engineless dirt bikes with enough suspension travel to get you to china ridden by dudes with chicken legs who actually drink red bull.

enduro is just downhill for folks that don't wanna admit they have no real fitness and wish they could get sponsored by red bull. change my mind.

xc or nothin.

actually just buy a gravel bike.

this what really started chapping my ass about mountain biking. i had a handful of friends during college that suddenly got really into mountain biking, started buying something called "enduro" bikes.

me being no longer a part of the mtb community i kept wondering wtf they were talking about. turns out it's just another form of DH that makes you "feel" like you're actually mountain biking a little more than just DH.

mtb clearly started turning into something cool because red bull got involved and companies started making mountain bikes that were essentially nothing but engineless dirt bikes with enough suspension travel to get you to china ridden by dudes with chicken legs who actually drink red bull.

enduro is just downhill for folks that don't wanna admit they have no real fitness and wish they could get sponsored by red bull. change my mind.

xc or nothin.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I didn’t grow up on vacation.

When going to places like whistler, copper or other resorts is that mostly just DH?
Like you really don’t do much pedaling?
Just coasting really fast and hitting jumps?

I definitely bike less out here... trails are more technical
You know, outside of gaps and drops, you can always just go slower right? I definitely don't hit gaps anymore as a rule unless they're tiny.

You guys and your lack of fun. You could get run over tomorrow in a parking lot, you gotta at least have a bit of fun while you still can.

I definitely ride for my cardio and rest days. Then run and pack for my strength days.

xc or nothin.

I see you've successfully refined the "get off my lawn" soapbox speech.

When going to places like whistler, copper or other resorts is that mostly just DH?
All depends. The resort stuff almost always has an effortless way to the top. But plenty of mtb destinations offer great uphill routes too.

yeah if you're literally going to the resorts you're usually taking the ski lift up and riding down. that's why they offer summer lift passes.

steamboat has a pretty slick trail system just opposite the resort that's not on the resort, like a half mile outside of town, real pedaling occurs there. i've only trail run on it though ;)

i've never seen the appeal of resort riding, it's largely just downhill mountain biking, for the price of a lift ticket.

I feel like you can get the same amount of fitness riding full sus on the road, but you can’t really ride a gravel bike on the trail.
That’s why I went with the an mtb over gravel.

gravel bikes and road bikes can get you to the trails, where running and hiking is supposed to start.

just channel your inner anton. he doesn't own a mtb, cause he's an athlete ;)

nice phrasing... lol
If you use the lifts zero pedaling, more or less... but like they said you can ride up hill. Vail actually has some great XC trails, I've never actually used the lifts or ridden the downhill course.

I feel like you can get the same amount of fitness riding full sus on the road, but you can’t really ride a gravel bike on the trail.
That’s why I went with the an mtb over gravel.
100% I think a fully suspended mtb that's not stupid heavy can be kinda used as a 1 quiver bike. I rode mine to work for a long time.

I had a 26 until like 2015, my 27.5 seems massive but folks with 29ers seem to love them.

Last edited:
Back