Dell, Montana...bear

1whohunts

I was looking at hunting around Dell Montana this yr. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this area recieves a bunch of snow....if its huntable in the spring and if there are bears in or around this area....black bears. and any advice just in gen. on this area. Is there a bunch of snow there now??

Thanks everyone

I've never been there in the spring, but that area should make for a fine bear hunt. Western MT in general has gotten a lot of snow lately, but its been melting off fairly quickly in SW MT. As a general rule, MT spring bear hunting is usually best from May 15 to May 31. Spend time behind glass, and do a fair bit of walking as well, I'd imagine there will be some elk sheds on the ground around there.

Thank you

I hear thats the time to go, however I leave for canada the 2nd of may for bear/wolf hunt and then to alabama. Thanks for the snow update

I have a uncle that lives down there, and hunts a ton. Dell isn't a good area for bears as there aren't many around. Also, the public lands that you will be able to hunt is high and gets lots of snow.

Thank you. Drives me crazy because so many people say there are a bunch of bears there to the south a little ways, and other people tell me complete opposite.

Thank you. Drives me crazy because so many people say there are a bunch of bears there to the south a little ways, and other people tell me complete opposite.

Areas directly South of Dell have virtually no bears. But go South and East a way, and you will run into the wrong type of bear!

It's relative. Is there a lot of bears compared to the breaks? Sure. Compared to NW MT? No.

I used to go down there when our seasons closed early up here. I saw bears, but nowhere near as much as I'd see up here. The good thing about that country is you can see them from a long, long ways off.

There's the Dell Calf-A, so you'd have that going for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back