Votes: 21 28.4%
  • 7mm SAUM

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • 300 WSM

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Other

Votes: 21 28.4%

• Total voters
It appears you need a 243AI. You said small and fast 6mm. That will cover that need plus brass is normally available and priced right. Get a tighter twist if you want to shoot heavy for caliber or stay with the regular twist if 55 to 100 grain is what you will use.

For me I would like to play with a 257 or a 280 AI next. Im right there with you on the statement that I never "need" another gun/caliber... its always a "want"!

This year set on the 6.5 PRC and might stay with that for awhile

If it were me and only because I am considering doing just this, short action, do something based on any cartridge that is based on the 308 so 243 Winchester, .260 Remington, 7mm-08 Remington, .308 Winchester and .358 Winchester among a few other less popular wildcats. I am thinking of barrel swapping to convert a .243 Win to a .260 Rem.

That said the .257 Roberts does sound pretty interesting.

Hunting rifles are as personal as socks. Everyone wears them, but no one agrees which is best. I like rifles for more than practicality, I like them as working art.

That said, I would tell you to consider the 257 Roberts. It is a workhorse of the 25 bore lineup, not as powerful as a 25-06, but the cool factor is second to none.

The 257 Roberts is to the 25 caliber, what the 30-06 is to the 30 caliber. They both kill above their ballistic stats and are not punishing with recoil.

A fantastic medium sized game cartridge that performs beyond what B.C. velocity and energy statistics show it is capable of...

View attachment 182200
Hunting rifles are as personal as socks. Everyone wears them, but no one agrees which is best. I like rifles for more than practicality, I like them as working art.

I like this and am going to steal it! So true but never heard anyone put it like that!

Quarter bore got the vote by a landslide. I am going to try to implement a poll as well, not quite sure how to do that. I think the 25 / 6mm would be an awesome addition to the lineup.

I am also intrigued by the 7mm SAUM. Not sure it does anything that my other rifles dont (but it doesnt need to). I am more looking for a cool factor, fun project, and hopefully something my 3 year old son can use when he starts hunting with me in 7 or so years.

I think I am going to look into the 25 cartridges, specifically the 257 Roberts. I am also going to look hard at a 243 or a 6mm creedmoor. One would think that ammo or components would be easier to find (brass specifically) than a 25 bore, but I could be wrong. Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!

My SAUM is spitting 160 grain Partitions/Accubonds at 2960 fps out of a 22” barrel. I do love my 25-06 and 7-08, as well.

Lots of great choices out there. Sometimes, too many. 😂

depends on what you want to hunt. I am not a one caliber/one gun guy.

I have lots of calibers and hunting rifles. My goal now is only lightweight guns that create lots of energy unless i want something for antelope or deer. If its elk, I will put my .28 Nosler in Browning X Bolt Pro up against any rifle for any North American game as a all around caliber.

If I were to buy a new rifle it would either be another Browning X Bolt Pro ( .28 Nosler), Nosler Mountain Carbon ( my first choice) ( .27 Nosler or .28 Nosler) or a Weatherby Mark 5 Back Country Ti. ( 6.5-300 whby, .257 Wthby)

My favorite rifle I own: Nosler M48 Carbon on .30 Nosler. Its light, cycles like butter, and the cartridge is brutal. Then of course theres my .270WSM and so on. Its tough question.

Based on what you already have I would do a 6mm of some sort for the versatility, I love the 243.
Do you reload? if so and you go 257, I would do a 257 ackley, my old man bought one off a friend last year and I have been tinkering and reloading for it. Fun to shoot and fast.

I had a 7mm-08, turned AI. Loved that cartridge!
When the throat was burned out, i rebarreled to 250 Savage. I also own a 257 Roberts, and just got done reaming one rifle to 257 Roberts AI.
Something about the 25 caliber.
It seems to kill cleanly out of proportion to the caliber size.
Daughters buck with 257 Roberts at 70 yards, dropped right there. My buck, same gun, different bullet, about same distance, made it 20-25 yards.
Doe at 100 with 250 Savage made it 10 yards & fell over.

And yes, people still use 257 Roberts on elk.

90gr Sierra BlitzKing is plenty accurate to 500 yards on coyotes.
Any of the Nosler Ballistic Tips, the Accubond, and 115gr Berger VLD work well on deer sized game.
I've heard good reports on the 117gr Hornady SST, and all weights of GameKings & Pro Hunters.

I'm looking forward to trying out the new 110gr Tipped GameKing.

Go with a 1:7.5 twist barrel and it opens you up to the 131gr BlackJack Ace (G7 of 0.330 !!), the new Berger 133gr Elite Hunter, Berger 135gr Hybrid Target.

Last edited:
Something i've been thinking about with the forementioned short action magnum bolt face action.
7mm-350 Rem Mag.
Strictly wildcat.
Can either get 6.5mm Rem Mag, or 350 Rem Mag cases & neck up or down as needed.
OR can be made from 7mm Rem Mag cases.

Would definitely be something different at band camp! :D

Although i might be inclined to do the wildcat 7mm RCM also.

Something i've been thinking about with the forementioned short action magnum bolt face action.
7mm-350 Rem Mag.
Strictly wildcat.
Can either get 6.5mm Rem Mag, or 350 Rem Mag cases & neck up or down as needed.
OR can be made from 7mm Rem Mag cases.

Would definitely be something different at band camp! :D

Although i might be inclined to do the wildcat 7mm RCM also.
7mm is giving me stirrings, no doubt. A 7mm SS, 7mm SAUM, 7mm-08, would all be fun to do. Since I try to reload for my rifles, I have no qualms with a wildcat.

Some match shooters are predicting a match win with 25-284 shooting the new 135gr Berger Hybrid Target.

I caved into my Sherman Short fanboy-ism and ordered a 7mm SS. Will try pushing the 169 Hammer Hunter out of it and see what kind of velocity we get. Hoping to be around 2850 FPS.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back