• Thank you for creating an account on Hunt Talk! We require that all new users contribute at least 10 posts before gaining the ability to start new threads. Once you have made 10 posts, you will be able to start new threads in the forum.

Deer V's ELK....

Moosie

Grand poopa
I will be Elk hunting and DEER will be opened At the same time...

LAst year I FLUBBED a 4 Point Muley (THATS 8 Whitetail points ;)) Because I watched it thinking only about ELK.....

If you are hunting Elk and Deer is open .... Do you stick to Hunting ELK or Cap a Deer if it presents itself ?~?~?

ALSO, If you were on a Trophie ELK GUIDE trip with a deer tag.. Do you use a day to pack out a deer or do you pass hoping to Get that ELK ?~?~?

Oak

Expert
Mule deer usually come first for me. I know that most people would rather hunt elk, but I've got this strange addiction to those big eared deer! I'll never pass up a crack at a big muley, but will hold out on an average buck if there is a chance of elk in the area.

If I was on a trophy elk hunt, I would probably pass up a muley unless he was REALLY big. It just seems that the chance at a big elk is harder to come by than a big deer.

Oak