Caribou Gear Tarp

Deer Rifle help

I was watching a movie couple night's ago and fooling with a rifle while sitting there. Mossberg Patriot in 308, got it just to shoot cast bullet's in. Longer I fooled with it, the more it felt like my all time favorite hunting rifle, a Rem Mod 660 in 308. Actually my son has that old /rem now but he hated the scope, Denver Redfield 2 3/4x. Both those rifle's had pretty much the same feel in my hands, really well balanced. Now I have another Mossberg almost exactly like that 308 but it's a 243 and it has a 3-9X scope on it. Just doesn't feel the same in my hands. I've never liked big scopes even though I have a number of 3-9x's now. 3-9xis a lit easier to find these days. That 243 is almost exactly like the 308 other than the scope. That old 2 3/4x is on a 30-06 now and love it. On the Mossberg is another old Denver Redfield but a 1-4x! Same size as the 2 3/4x. Boy is that 308 handy! I think, especially in the Carolina's that lower power scope is all you need and just might make a difference in how the rifle handles. With my old @3/4x I've hunted Montana, Alaska and Oregon and never felt disadvantaged.

I don't think there is a one size fits all. There are many options out there. I have used a 300 ultra mag, 300 win mag, rem model 700 30-06, 7mm rem mag, and now I am back to shooting my 30-06. I like it for an all-around rifle but I miss the 7mm rem mag for 300+ yard shots.

Find yourself a good Rem 700 BDL then you have a rifle for life. You can replace the barrel with a ultra Prem barrel ……you can blueprint the action and custom trigger and so many great stocks from HS Precision or Brown Precision ETC .
Excellent choice on scope Leupold 2.5x8 or 3.5x10. As for caliber keep it simple 30-06 or 300 Win Mag .
Some of the best shooters in the tactical world use custom rifles based on the simple Rem 700.

Back