Deer Rifle help

chsFISH

Looking at getting into deer hunting, I'm not new to shooting just hunting. Want to buy a bolt action rifle not personally tied to any brands just want to hear opinions. I want a rifle that will be reliable, accurate, and can last me awhile. In terms of caliber, I was considering 6.5 creedmoor or .308 because its a lot more readily available every where (opinions on that?). I know I can get away with less for where I will do most my hunting (SC) but in the event I go travel elsewhere to hunt slightly larger game I don't want to have to buy a whole new rifle to do so. With the research I've done I'm considering these rifles and would like some insight on which to pick; Weatherby Vanguard, Tikka T3x hunter, Browning X-bolt, Bergara B-14 hunter, and Winchester model 70. Id like to keep the rifle under $800 but will step slightly over (like some of the above) if its truly an all around better rifle.

While Im here I'll also ask if y'all have any preferences on an optic?And I've always preferred the look of wood over synthetic, long term or in hunting applications would you push me away from wood?

Thanks for the help

That's a good list, all will be capable and last a long time. Here is one link with some additional discussion. https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/ranking-10-common-bolt-action-hunting-rifles-under-750.291265/

Both those cartridge choices are good as well. Here are some others that may fit the bill. https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/for-rockinu-common-cartridge-choices.291271/

As for scopes I would contact @schmalts and ask for pricing on a Leupold vx3i 3.5-10x40 (or similar) and a vx5HD 3-15x44 and see which one fits your budget. Both will do the job, but the 5HD is a nice upgrade. I would be reluctant to go below the vx3i if at all possible.

Wood vs. synthetics are a lot about preference. If properly setup (bedding, etc) and maintained both will last a lifetime. My personal order of preference: Heirloom quality wood on an heirloom gun; quality synthetic stock with aluminum bedding block; basic wood; cheap plastic (I hate tuperware stocks).

Last edited:
All good rifles, I'll put a plug in for the Bergara. My .270 shoots well with everything I have put through it. That said, I've shot all of those except the Browning and all have shot really well. I like the .270 Win as a good all around cartridge. Won't kill you with recoil and will kill anything in USA with the exception of the big bears.

Can't say enough good things about the Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40. Probably the best bang for the buck in the optics world. Definitely get in touch with Schmalts

I can't really speak to wood vs. synthetic. I have both and haven't had any problems. Wood definitely looks better, but synthetic may be more durable and resistant to weather. Don't worry, you'll eventually acquire a bunch more rifles so you'll get to have both at some point....

I'm in the same boat as the original post - not a new hunter but first time getting myself a rifle. The options are too broad and supplies are poor right now. Not a good time to be looking for a rifle!

I switched to Bergara last year and have been very happy with them. I’ve always been a wood/blue fan, but the Bergara isn’t as plastic-y as some others, and the performance is great. I got B-14 Hunters in both .270 and .22-250 and they shoot very well. Have killed coyotes, antelope, deer and elk last year with them and am impressed with the accuracy out of the box.

If this is your do-it-all rifle, 30-06 would be my choice over 6.5 CM, mostly for one reason - if you were anywhere in the United States on a hunting trip (including remote Alaska), it will likely be much easier to find .30-06 ammo than 6.5 CM. Heck, I got separated from most of my ammo in remote Alaska once many years ago, and another hunter loaned me 10 rounds of .30-06 until mine was recovered. That would be tough to do with a lot of calibers. You can likely find .30-06 ammo anywhere ammo is sold.

If this is your do-it-all rifle, 30-06 would be my choice over 6.5 CM, mostly for one reason - if you were anywhere in the United States on a hunting trip (including remote Alaska), it will likely be much easier to find .30-06 ammo than 6.5 CM. Heck, I got separated from most of my ammo in remote Alaska once many years ago, and another hunter loaned me 10 rounds of .30-06 until mine was recovered. That would be tough to do with a lot of calibers. You can likely find .30-06 ammo anywhere ammo is sold.

No doubt 30-06 can be found in most places, but so can .308 and these days 6.5cm as well, but that is the one place 7mm08 falls down a bit. .243, .270, 7mmRemMag and are fairly ubiquitous too. But FWIW, I don't choose my gun basis forgetting stuff at home - too many other considerations to let that drive a choice for me.

No doubt 30-06 can be found in most places, but so can .308 and these days 6.5cm as well, but that is the one place 7mm08 falls down a bit. .243, .270, 7mmRemMag and are fairly ubiquitous too. But FWIW, I don't choose my gun basis forgetting stuff at home - too many other considerations to let that drive a choice for me.

I may not have been clear - didn't forget anything at home, ammo and gear got separated form me and rifle in the process of flying from east coast to Alaska. I would take my chance finding .30-06 ammo in Kotzebue and King Salmon, over 6.5... :)

I may not have been clear - didn't forget anything at home, ammo and gear got separated form me and rifle in the process of flying from east coast to Alaska. I would take my chance finding .30-06 ammo in Kotzebue and King Salmon, over 6.5... :)
I get your specific example. I was referring to this as a more general comment about 30-06. I also had a buddy have his bolt left in an airport by security - sh*t happens, I wouldn't choose my gun because of it, but YMMV.

Between the 2 caliber choices, go with the 308. As for the rifle see which one you like the best. I like the Browning X-Bolt myself. Although I don't own any of the others you mention, I hear they are all great rifles though. A nice Leupold or Vortex on top would be my choice as well, you don't need much, a 3-9x40 would serve you well. Good Luck.

Two of the most accurate "out of the box" rifles I have owned were a Tikka T3 in 7mm-08 and Browning X-Bolt Stalker in 6.5 CM. 1/2 inch consistently with handloads. I prefer the Browning over the Tikka because I feel the tang safety is less likely to get accidentally moved to the Fire position, plus the 60 degree bolt lift is nice.

Know what, depending on how you use it, a 22 RF will take anything in N.A. Depending on how you use it! For anything larger than deer I go with the 6.5 cartridge's and up. Presently my deer rifle is in a 6.5x55 and my elk rifle is a 30-06, only 30-06 I ever hunted with. My 6.5x55 would work well on elk also but I have a 30-06 I really like so why not use it.

All are great rifles and have owned all but the Bergara .Now days I shoot Savage model 16 weather warrior in 260 rem. it is a tack driver with 140 grain btsp.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back