Deer Rifle help

This year I ended up buying a Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor for ~$500 and put a Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP 6-24x50 scope on it for ~$400 and am very happy with its performance so far. I am very much looking forward to using it in WY for Antelope this year.

I had a Browning X-Bolt Hunter (matte blued barrel, wood stock) in 7mm-08 with Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8 scope. Perfect WI whitetail rifle.

I sold mine because I prefer a Rem 700 action/safety, so now I use a Rem 700 BDL - classic wood/blued barrel - in 30-06.

All of your options are solid, will be personal preference. I recommend paying attention to the differences among the safeties.

For around $800, I would look at Tikka or Bergara rifles. They have very smooth action and are extremely accurate.

If you have big hands, the Bergara B14 has a very open "wrist" ( the pistol grip part behind the trigger) I have always found the Remington 700 BDL and similar have a "tight" wrist ( short for my hand) Browning & tikka awfully tight. I love the Model 700s and their clones ( Bergara is a clone) have always had good accuracy from them. I also like the "feel" of Bergaras Hunter stocks, slim/trim and very stable. Great trigger easily adjusted by owner. It is "plain" because it is a hunting rifle. If you want more of a "Pride of Ownership" rifle ( beautiful wood/blue or SS, etc) spend a bit more money for a Kimber 84L Classic! :) Have fun whatever you choose!

Like you, I was trying to decide between Bergara and Tikka a year or so ago. I purchased a B-14 Ridge rifle in 6.5 CM. It’s basically the same rifle as the hunter, but with a threaded barrel for a muzzle brake. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have gotten the hunter. It might be fun to shoot with the brake at the range, but I definitely wouldn’t use it Hunting. It’s a great rifle and quality is excellent. They aren’t kidding when they say they are known for their barrels; out of the box accuracy is outstanding, but whatever rifle you buy, you will need to experiment with ammo for best accuracy. Since I live in SoCal where we are restricted to copper only, I experimented with Hornady GMX and Barnes TTSX. My rifle liked Barnes much better. I also own a Sako AV, which many collectors and enthusiasts consider the pinnacle of Sako rifle production. Dare I say the Bergara has a slicker, smoother bolt. I really can’t believe the quality you get for the money that you pay with Bergara.

Bergara also uses button rifling vs the cold hammer forging most manufacturers are using these days, including Sako/Tikka. Many argue that this makes for a more accurate barrel. That said, Sako, and probably Tikka as well since they use Sako barrels, have a five shot sub-MOA guarantee with factory target Ammo.

Regarding stocks, if going synthetic, for sure go with Bergara. For being a factory stock, I find them to be very high quality. The Tikkas felt very cheap and plasticky to me when handling them, so if you go with Tikka, I’d go with wood.

Whichever one you buy, buy it through Gallery of guns. My B-14 retailed for close to 900 when I bought it, and I ended up getting it for $750 through gallery of guns.

Regarding optics, buy the best you can afford, and for sure buy it through forum member Schmalts. Before finding this forum I purchased a Leupold VX-R fire dot in 3-9x40 through my LGS. When I was ready to upgrade I contacted Schmalts and he got me the VX-5HD fire dot in 3-15x44 for pretty much the same money that I paid for the lesser scope. He also got me a killer deal on the new Meopta B1 Plus 10x42 binos that recently came out.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of the .308. But you know that if you ask 10 gun guys what is the best caliber for this or that, you may get 10 different answers and none of them are wrong.

I own 3 Remington 700 (22.250, .270, & 30-06) 2 Kimber(.243 & .300 WSM) T/C Encore(.308 pistol, 22.250 pistol, & 7mm Rem mag rifle) Browning Hello Canyon Xbolt Speed rifle. 308. The pat 3 years I find myself grabbing the Browning for all big game. It is topped with a Leupold Vx3i CDS and it just shoots and handles well.

Concerning rifle's, I think there's a truth often overlooked. Find one brand of rifle proven to be the best you can buy. Say it'a a mod 700. Sure as shooting there are going to be many people that think that's wrong and the rifle they shoot is the best! It's about personal preference! Pretty much the same way with cartridges. Little old skinny Indian woman up in Canada had the world record Grizzly for many years, #2 now. She killed in with a 22 long RF! Did it on purpose too! So how much do you really need to get a job done? Once again personal preference is gonna lead the way. 6'5's are a good choice if you like them, I do! But in truth they are no less deadly than a 338 mag! Just depends on the bullet you pick and how you use what you have. Actually choice of bullet may not be that important either. Skinny old Indian woman in Canada pretty much proved that! But that aside, I'd go with your 6.5. One of my favorite rifles is a 6.5x55 and another a 6.5x06. If the260 or the Creedmoor had been around when I got my 6.5x55 I might have got one of them!

I'm a fan of Remington Rifles and my 6.5x06 is a 700 BDL. My 6.5x55 is a mod70 Featherweight. I wouldn't sell either!

As said before, these are all great rifles. tikkaman like myself shoot Savage model 16 weather warriors. I have owned three of them and all shot lights out. The tupperware stocks on these rifles leave something to be desired, but can be modified to be acceptable. If you are a brand snob, buy any rifle that you listed. If you want to save money, take a look at Savage rifles. Use the money you save on the rifle for other things such as optics, ammo, clothing and hunting gear. As for the caliber of the rifle, I have owned two 308 Winchesters and I liked them both. Especially the Savage with the Accu-Trigger. I haven't had any experience with the 6.5 Creedmoor. With the scope you want to buy quality not cheap. Also buy quality base(s) and rings.

I would definitely recommend Tikka. Very reliable guns. As for optics, I hear Vortex is really good. I have Nikons on all my rifles, but Nikon is discontinuing they're rifle scopes. So from now on I'm going with Vortex.

I have a handful of big game rifles, and my weatherby vanguard sporter in 257 weatherby is probably the most consistently accurate factory rifle of the bunch.

They are one of the best values on the market in my opinion.

I have wood stocks on my rifles but they are older. I personally like the way they look. I like some of the composite stocks. The Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon seems like a quality stock. I think go with what you like.

Tikka gets my vote. I like the looks of wood but for durability reasons I went with synthetic and stainless. I went with 30-06, and will be upgrading to a VX-3i 3.5-10x40 and plan on getting a CDS dial for 150 ttsx. After enough trial and error, this set up will handle anything I ever want to hunt (I have little desire to hunt bear).

I can tell you the 308 is a good caliber gun for anything, Deer, elk, antelope, Bear .Bullet placement is the key. I shoot a 30-06 and it does great for all the game mentioned. I bought a Leupold gold ring w/ the duplex hairs and really like it plus it has a lifetime warranty. I am not a long range shooter but I try to shoot my game in the neck if possible. Last bull was 262 yd. and didn't run off and there was no meat loss. Good quick clean kill. i sighted my scope in at 2" high at a 100yds, and it was right on at 262. I use factory loads of 165 grain Remington core -Lok.

I’m a 300 win mag kinda guy; one round to rule them all but I’m also a 270 Winchester as well. I’d totally take my 270 elk hunting too 😃 if your not gonna shoot past 400 yards you’d probably be great with a 270 for most North American game.

I have a handful of big game rifles, and my weatherby vanguard sporter in 257 weatherby is probably the most consistently accurate factory rifle of the bunch.

They are one of the best values on the market in my opinion.

Agreed. I have a Weatherby Lazerguard in .257 Wby. magnum, and it is awesome! But like all Weatherby premium ammo, the ammo ain't cheap!
Reyne's Deer.jpg

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back