Deer numbers around Fort Peck Reservior

basshauler

About 6 years ago we hunted around the Fort Peck Reservior and saw hundreds of mulies and a fair number of whitetail. We hunted there again in 2010 and saw nothing. It turns out the rumors we heard in town of a massive die (Blue Tounge) off were unfortunately true. Could anyone comment on how the area is recovering or perhaps not recovering? Thanks

I dont think its recovering very fast.

Lots of people over there still killing any buck they see and thats going to slow the recovery. I hunted on the North Side of the river and probably saw less than 50 deer in 6 days of pretty hard hunting.

Saw 15 or so bucks, the biggest was probably 165.

I was there last year for over a week and it was tough hunting if your looking for a decent buck. I got lucky on first day my buddy ended up shooting a small 4 pt. on day 6.. We only saw too shooters in a week and we hunt very hard all day everyday.
We have decided to give the area a break for a while and do other things hunted there on numerous occasions and it has slowly went downhill since the first time I hunted it in 1999. I know that the area has seen some tough winters and diesease but there are other issues at play also people just shoot anything they come across it seems.

That was what I was afraid of. Thanks Buzz and Brownbear. I was just hoping that things had changed for the better. If it was half of what it once was it would be nice. In 2010 we had 5 guys all hunting different sections for 5 days and only one of our guys saw a buck. I've never seen anything like it. Depressing to say the least. -D

We archery elk hunted via jet boat on north side of river last year. I only saw one buck in a weeks time (Avg. 3 point). Did see probably 3 different small bunches of doe/fawns. Overall saw elk 20 to 1 over deer.

I was there last year for over a week and it was tough hunting if your looking for a decent buck. I got lucky on first day my buddy ended up shooting a small 4 pt. on day 6.. We only saw too shooters in a week and we hunt very hard all day everyday.
We have decided to give the area a break for a while and do other things hunted there on numerous occasions and it has slowly went downhill since the first time I hunted it in 1999. I know that the area has seen some tough winters and diesease but there are other issues at play also people just shoot anything they come across it seems.

Well you just said 2 things that contradict the other . You said that too many people shoot young deer basically - but before that you said our buddy shot a small buck . Yeh on day 6 but the small young buck doesn't know or care what day it was . Whether you hunt 20 days and shoot and smal
Buck or 1/2 hour and shoot a small one the buck is still dead so don't bash others when your hunting partner did exactly what you are mad at people for doing :D

Well you just said 2 things that contradict the other . You said that too many people shoot young deer basically - but before that you said our buddy shot a small buck . Yeh on day 6 but the small young buck doesn't know or care what day it was . Whether you hunt 20 days and shoot and smal
Buck or 1/2 hour and shoot a small one the buck is still dead so don't bash others when your hunting partner did exactly what you are mad at people for doing :D

Last edited:
I live right at the UL Bend. I am out and around all winter after the hunters are gone for the season. In past years, when the weather got rough we would see huge numbers of whitetails along the river and the mule deer would bunch up and be highly visible in large numbers. Not any more. This winter I could go into the CMR and walk for an hour at a time along the river and not even see a deer track some days. A neighbor and I have been watching a group of 9 whitetails that live between us all winter. The area that they are in used to have at least 70 to 80 whitetails visible most evenings. Areas in the CMR that literally crawled with white tails three years ago, are devoid of deer now. There are some mule deer around, but nothing like there were in the past. There are still some good mule deer bucks in the area but you gotta look a lot harder than in the past. When there is fresh snow on the south side of the river there are lion tracks literally everywhere. They do make a difference that can be seen when the numbers of deer are this low. I have never seen an area with less deer density than what we presently have here along the river these days. It can only get better, I hope.

Hey try not to bust my balls for something I didn't do it's his darn tag and that was his decision to shoot the deer. I wasn't with him at the time and if I was I would have told him I wouldn't take that deer. So before you go back seat someone maybe you should know the facts.
Fact is I wouldn't have shot the deer. And another fact my buddy saves every penny he can through the year to make that trip that runs him 2500 bucks so if he wants to burn his tag on a spike I can relate to that somewhat. An out of state hunt is rare for him with his line of work. That's all:D

Hey try not to bust my balls for something I didn't do it's his darn tag and that was his decision to shoot the deer. I wasn't with him at the time and if I was I would have told him I wouldn't take that deer. So before you go back seat someone maybe you should know the facts.
Fact is I wouldn't have shot the deer. And another fact my buddy saves every penny he can through the year to make that trip that runs him 2500 bucks so if he wants to burn his tag on a spike I can relate to that somewhat. An out of state hunt is rare for him with his line of work. That's all:D

I agree with you . Fact is there are tons of deer every year that are young and should be left to grow up but like you said everyone's situation is different . Our group (4 of us usually) goes muley hunting for a week over thanksgiving every fall for last 7 years , just about every trip we get 2 real good ones and 2 that maybe should be left be also but we also travel a long ways and usually everyone has between 1000-1500$ tied up in it so bringing home some meat is a priority . I've never shot anything less than a 4 point yet but I guess if it were last day and I had a 700 mile trip home and a big bodied 3x3 was offering a quality shot I'd probably take him for the meat

Back