Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Deer Lease Safe!

DRAFTSTUD

Earlier this week I was told that the gentleman that owns about 3500 acres, including 840 acres of my Deer Lease was selling out. Wendesday I spoke to him and he did sell some of it, about 800 acres, but it was up the road from us. He also said that he was sending a bulldozer to dress up our roads for us....(or to make showing the property easier?) On a side note, I went to a forum concerning the way our Wildlife and Fisheries Department does business with our Deer Hunting. They are wanting to go to a tag system: 3 doe tags, two buck of choice and one buck, six point or better. As our system stands now you are allowed six deer a year with as many as 25 doe days through out the season, but there are no check and balances on this system. A jerk could kill as many deer as he wished, if he kept his mouth shut!
I support the tag system and got up there and told them what I wished they would do as far as Deer season was concerned: 1. Open the season Later. 2. Increase the amount that we pay for our License, I got an applause from the crowd for that! 3. Make sure that when we give the extra money that it is used for the ones who are paying the bills, the Hunters.
I heard more B.S. than you could shake a stick at, one fellow said they should reduce the fees until eveyone can shoot six Deer! What a moron! One wanted to not have any Does shot, Everyone seems to think that you can stock pile Deer, you can't, the body size goes down and in the Southeast we are having a big problem with Blue Tongue and that will run through a herd real fast. And Poaching...when I first started my first Lease, It had been shot out so bad it took me three years to see a Deer! I set up gates and patrolled the lease, got death threats, suggestions of what to do with certain body parts, which I don't think you can do! But we eventually started killing some nice Bucks, in fact my Boy has one in the state records off that lease. It is a whole different game back here in the Whitetail woods. Maybe I should have put this in S.I. with all the bitch*ng I'm doing. Later, John

John,

I can relate to your landowner concerns. Lease stability here in north Texas is a thing of the past. Affluent hunters from the metro areas have impacted the local landowners' lease worth appraisals. 10-25$ per acre is not uncommon. We have a tag system that varies from county to county. 1 buck and 2 doe per licensee is fairly common (and that is plenty) but that can be modified as per landowner stipulation (modified to less not more). Public land hunting in Texas is hardly an option either.
Good luck.

This is a good place to put it DS...
Good read and I am glad you are trying to make the difference, seeing as most will just sit on their hands and not really care what happens in the deer woods...

Back