Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Deer hunting the Oregon side of the Snake River.

IK-NWhunter

I drew a deer tag for the Oregon side of the Snake River unit but haven't hunted there before. I gather it's steep as s*^t so I've rented a couple of llamas to help me out. My preference would be to camp and hunt on ridges in the unit because it's easier to spot & stalk without huffing and puffing thousands of feet uphill just to get in range. I think the thermals will also be pushing my wind uphill most of the legal shooting hours anyway. Does that sound like a solid plan or am I missing something?

I'm concerned about finding water on the ridges, especially enough to keep the llamas happy. Should I be? The season runs 9/28-10/9; I think it's usually pretty dry that time of the year. My Forest Service map shows springs on most of those ridgelines, but I don't know if I should believe it. I know llamas don't need as much water or water as often as horses, so I could pack a couple collapsable 5-gallon jugs and have the llamas carry there own water to camp. If I have to go that far off the ridges just to find water, maybe the deer won't be up there anyway? I called the OR district wildlife biologist for the unit, but haven't heard back yet. FS employees can be hit or miss, mostly miss in my experience.

The llama owner doesn't carry insurance against a predator attack. Any advice on how to mitigate the risk while I'm hunting away from camp? We have everything except grizzlies in that unit.

Anyone have thoughts on finding big deer in this area? Is most of the hunting pressure coming from boats along the river?

I hunted a neighboring unit for elk last fall. Same country. There’s a lot of springs that come off those ridges, but some run and others hardly trickle, but you won’t know which is which by looking at a map. If you can get out there this summer to scout you could get your water situation figured. As for your llamas, I doubt any critters will mess with them. PM me if you want to talk.

Most of your pressure will be from guys just like you who know it's a good bet to spot and stalk from the ridges. It's a hell of a hike from the bottom to the top and there won't be many who try. Lots of horsemen (and women) in that country with only a few good access points, so expect company until you get a few miles in. Feed should be good this year as we've had a wet Spring and Summer so far. Finding water is key so scouting is important. Good luck!

Not many deer on top , and then you’ll find very few until you drop about halfway down IME. Yes, you should be concerned about water right on top. All the major creeks should be flowing.

Pressure is from the top down and bottom up. Find the middle band and you’ll find deer.

I just got back from a scouting trip to the unit. There’s a general archery elk hunt going on at the moment and the place is packed with elk hunters. Well this limited the number of deer I saw, it also mimicked the pressure deer will see during my hunt. XXL and JLS, you guys were right. Pretty much everyone is up on the ridges where the hiking isn’t insane.

I covered 35 miles in 3 days and spent long hours looking through my glass. I spotted 2 does and a bunch of elk for my efforts. Apparently the cougars and wolves are holding the deer population very low? Certainly more predator sign than deer along the trails.

I’m thinking not many hunters will drop in below the rim of the main canyon. It’s going to be tough, but that’s my plan to find a mature buck. I think the llamas can get me in there with 12 gallons of water if I carry most everything else. Should be enough for 3-4 days of water for myself and the llamas.

Season opens on the 28th. I’ll be back with pictures if I get one. Should be an adventure either way!

I’m thinking not many hunters will drop in below the rim of the main canyon. It’s going to be tough, but that’s my plan to find a mature buck.

Definitely do this. Amazing what you can see if you drop a few hundred feet of elevation that cannot be seen from the top. Good luck, and have fun. Post your story when you get back!

I wouldn’t let the low numbers you saw discourage you, it must have been brutally hot. I hunt with mules a lot and Almost never leave a trail With them except for retrieval. The big advantage you have is that llamas can follow you off trail easily and safely. I cannot believe you’d have any competition very far from a trail there. Good luck

Hey guys, I’m back from the unit and busy cutting up meat. Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice! Getting in and out of the main canyon was challenging, even with the llamas but well worth the effort I’d say.

I know he’s not the biggest buck in the unit, but I couldn’t be happier. Especially given the low deer numbers up there.C141A52C-EF1C-4980-BB6C-1C7ACB73E3AA.jpegE29807E9-8C80-4706-80AA-DD2D1284512D.jpegAFE2D75C-C064-4212-AC7F-B5E418D35BA2.jpeg

Looks like it was an awesome trip! That’s a great buck for that unit. Congratulations!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back