Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Deer camp news

JB

Protector of Innocent Idiots
Old man Al

Well, Old man Al made his last trip across the bay bridge the other evening after about 50 plus deer seasons. He was a long time friend of my father and has known me before I could wipe my own ass.
I had hunted with Al as long as I can remember, year after year he would show up at camp ready to go with a big smile on his face only to leave deer camp most of the time without a deer and a even bigger smile on his face…..I always wondered how he could be so happy with not getting a deer year after year.
Seems old man Al had something I didn’t.
He knew why he was there and what he gets from it.
You don’t have to kill an animal to have a successful hunt. It’s about memories and sharing camp with good friends….anything else you get out of it is secondary.
Al passed away yesterday in his favorite chair in hunting camp with a smile on his face….happy to the end.
I sat awake last night remembering the hunts with Al when it dawned on me what he had left me………he left me great memories and more importantly, awakened me to the reason why I hunt…..not the trophy’s, not the venison but the life long memories of deer camp shared with family and friends. on my way back to camp i called my father to see how evryone did and got the news that Al passed away....10-19-06. funny thing was, while i was out hunting and Al was back at camp in his chair a nice eight pointer was crossing a field heading right to me and just disapeared into thin air only to re-appear moments later and vanish again like a ghost......,Thank you Mr. Al, for the memories and the lesson on life .
You couldnt imagine how much you are going to be missed.

Sorry to hear that JB.

Sounds like he left with his boots on though!

Hunting is all about memories, reguardless of what you bring home, you will always have memories.

JB? JB, is that you????????? Don't think I have ever read a post from you like that. I may even have a tear in my eye! Old Al sounds like quite a guy that will never be forgot by you. Thanks for sharing your tribute JB.....Happy Hunting Al.

JB? JB, is that you?????????
yeah, its me.
dont worry i'll be back to my old self soon enough :D.
thanks guys.

02-01-07

well Al, another deer season is over.
seen a few deer last night .....and one semi OK buck.
he needs one more year.

you know,..... Ol' Man Al say's "maybe next year".....maybe next year I'll kill a monster, maybe not.
Im gonna enjoy every chance Im lucky enough to get.
there wasnt too many days while i was hunting that i didnt think about "Ol Man Al" .

See ya next year Al !

Al lives on in the memories and will always be there at deer camp waiting for ya JB. So till next year. So long buckaroo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back