Decoying Antelope??

okie archer

Planning a diy archery hunt in Wyoming in late September. Was thinking about packing in the fold up Montana Decoy Co. antelope decoy and giving it a try. Does anyone have any advice or experience doing this?

Archery only hunt you would be fine. have had great success using a decoy in the rut.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I was definitely referring to archery season. Do the decoys from Montana Decoy Co. work well?

I have found the decoys to be a bit tough to handle in the wind when doing spot & stalk. I switched to a Be The Decoy hat. That being said animals will react differently to decoys. I have found that you might get away with a touch more movement but it didn't really entice a buck to get closer. Subordinate bucks may react negatively to a buck decoy regardless of rut conditions.

My experience with decoys and antelope is very limited so take this for what its worth. The decoy I used (years ago) was one of the original plastic Flambeau antelope decoys. I had a tough time getting the stake driven far enough into the sun baked hardened ground to keep the decoy upright with the constant winds that one experiences in antelope country. Might not be as much an issue with the lighter weight Montana decoys, or if you have a buddy managing the decoy rather than the shooter messing with the decoy and worrying about the shot.

I have used several different types and my personal favorite is the be the decoy hat and shirt. One year my buddy made a pronghorn decoy out of a whole sheet of plywood, it was the size of a horse. It worked great, just took two guys to move it. the key to putting the sneak on goats is to get as close a possible before you expose yourself. If you can get within a 150 yards then expose the decoy they seem to be more at ease then walking in from 400 yards out. If you hit the rut right you could see some fast action. the decoy hat give you a lot of freedom of movement. i.e. hand free

We used a be the decoy hat last weekend and my buddy ended up arrowing this guy. What I've found from early season hunting, it seems like the antelope are a little less spooky when i have the hat on. When I don't use it, they seem to run off a lot quicker.

Attachments

• DSCN1133.jpg
    DSCN1133.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 229
I made a cow decoy and used it during rifle. We used it on our final stalk when 4 of us stuck up on a group of does and fawns. We got within 80 yards before they started to stand up.

The cow decoy is the way to go! I've done it myself and seen it on TV. Cows work good as duck blinds too but my experience with that went terribly wrong.

Back