Deck staining time

rmauch20

Just bought a house last year and it’s time to re-stain the deck. It’s about 10 years old. Still in pretty good shape though. Looking at all the different options of transparency and deck paint. I’m kind of leaning toward behr solid deck stain and sealer or behr deck over paint. Anybody have any recommendations or opinions on either of those or other similar products?

I would not recommend a solid stain or paint. I’ve done it and over time it peels. My deck was looking rough so I removed all of the deck boards, flipped them over, and sanded them. I used a transparant stain or toner, not sure which one. The deck looked brand new when finished.

I agree with the others. Don't do a solid. Bought a newer house last year an the deck looked awesome. One of the selling points. Now I'm ashamed for people to see it. They redid it last June to list the house. Im hoping to power was most of it off and do a transparent stain.

Does it have solid finish on it now? Solid deck stain is paint, lasts one year if that. Deck over is last resort before you build a new one, lasts a couple years.

If its just oil stained or you get it to bare wood use this ->
http://www.penofin.com/wood-stains/blue-label-wood-stain
No it currently has a Behr Transparent all-in-one would finish on it. Or that’s at least the can I found that the people left in the garage.
Glad I asked. Sounds like I should stay away from the solids.

Our last place had about 400 sf of Redwood decks. I used Behr Transparent 5 year clear stain after using their cleaner. It lasted about 18 months each time for me. I did it for many years. Different techniques applying and always hoping for longer life. Never happened. Pad applicator, spray, roller, roller and brush...etc. Kept going back to it because for that first year it always looked near new. Summer temps would get to around 90 degrees and dry.

Our last place had about 400 sf of Redwood decks. I used Behr Transparent 5 year clear stain after using their cleaner. It lasted about 18 months each time for me. I did it for many years. Different techniques applying and always hoping for longer life. Never happened. Pad applicator, spray, roller, roller and brush...etc. Kept going back to it because for that first year it always looked near new. Summer temps would get to around 90 degrees and dry.

Did you strip it every time or just scrub it with the cleaner?

Did the cabin deck & decks at home for many years. Sierra Cabin deck was laid in 1956 & cedar & I repaired to original, & I rebuilt 1500sq ft of redwood decks on 2 homes on central coast.
Refinished them yearly. Used Behr. Tinted or clear,never solid on decks.Tried many on other projects , went back to Behr & another one that is no longer made.
Never did more than quick brush with deck cleaner & wash,maybe light presure wash. Let dry & then soak that mother with a logoil brush. Roll out the pools.... done walk away.
"Keeping it up holds it up", grandpa used to say. Building it right in the 1st place went unsaid.

Last edited:
I've had the best luck with Cabot Australian Timber Oil. Best done with a brush, keep a wet edge, and make sure not to overlap. It is time consuming, but best done right IMO. Solid finish is a waste of time because precipitation/ice does such a number on it and it peels. The "6-year warranty" or "10-year warranty" on the can is a joke. No matter what the product, plan on refinishing the deck every third year if you want it to look decent. As others have said, deck over is the very last thing you use before replacing a deck.

Did you strip it every time or just scrub it with the cleaner?
Stripped prepped, applied per directions...It didnt tolerate the hot sun well but I liked the finish. As Elkfever stated, the 5 year + life they advertise is BS. A lot like a Travel Trailer with a 4 season Rating.

Last edited:
Tried Behr don't waste your money it sure didn't stand up to what it should have.
Went to Cabot Australian wood oil in the mahogany flame oil color.
The Behr I used last year on the back decks are already peeling.

Kinda surprised the recommendations for Behr products. They are usually big box store offerings geared toward the weekender do-it-yourselfer. But as a DIY, you can use other products. mtmuley

Kinda surprised the recommendations for Behr products. They are usually big box store offerings geared toward the weekender do-it-yourselfer. But as a DIY, you can use other products. mtmuley
What do you like to use?

I live in the south west and the sun is shining just about every day and the sun is a decks worst enemy! The very best wood stain I have used is Sikkens Wood Finishes. You need to buy it at a Sikkens dealer and follow the directions correctly. I have seen many home owners around here go to Wal Mart and buy what’s on sale......waist of time and money. Do your self a favor and check it out.

Back