Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

DD/GWP

Trailsend

Guys what is really the difference? I always have felt they are the same breed. Maybe different testing systems but the same breed. I have run GWP’s for close to 23 years. I know there is variation. But are they really separate breeds?

Guys what is really the difference? I always have felt they are the same breed. Maybe different testing systems but the same breed. I have run GWP’s for close to 23 years. I know there is variation. But are they really separate breeds?
I’m not sure a DNA analysis would show any difference. DD guys argue they are different. GWP guys argue they are not.

What can’t be argued is the difference in breeding criteria. The stringency of the VDD for breeding has produced some amazing results. I think you also need to consider the crossing of Pinter into the GWP bloodlines. That white came from somewhere.

I've got a deposit down on a GWP pup from a kennel that admits their dogs have zero fur drive. They're all about birds. That's not what DD is bred for, they're all around dogs. But I also think it's way more about the kennel than the breed, and that holds true for pretty much all dogs.

I've got a deposit down on a GWP pup from a kennel that admits their dogs have zero fur drive. They're all about birds. That's not what DD is bred for, they're all around dogs. But I also think it's way more about the kennel than the breed, and that holds true for pretty much all dogs.
This is very true.

Look at it this way. The DD as a BREED maintains a very strict protocol for breeding and testing. As such, you can reliably pick a dog across breeders and have a good likelihood of getting a very good dog.

Within the GWP breed, there are KENNELS that maintain a very strict protocol for breeding and testing and have a good likelihood of producing a very good dog. You do probably have a higher chance of random genetic expression popping up. But, with due diligence you can still find dogs that are as good or better than a DD n certain aspects.

A lot of it depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Well put JLS, after 30+ years of owning DD’s I firmly buy into the fact that the kennel makes the difference in both the GWP as well as the DD.

i have found that I spent more time finding the kennel and owner that had a similar goal to mine In what I wanted in a dog.

Due diligence and having a very accurate assessment of your needs is a very big deal in choosing a pup.

Hello neffa3. I hope you have good luck with your pup. But the notion that a breeder knows his pups have no interest in fur seems like a sales pitch.

JLS nailed it....DD has an incredibly high standard to allow a dog/bitch to breed......breeding is not for the hobbyist.....whereas AKC has very low barriers to entry, if it has papers it can be bred. I think this is a big reason the DD and GWP are not considered the same, by many

Hello neffa3. I hope you have good luck with your pup. But the notion that a breeder knows his pups have no interest in fur seems like a sales pitch.
Thanks for that tid bit. It wasn't shared as a sales pitch but a warning. A lot of guys want a GWP to chase fur. This breeder doesn't and breeds as such. So he wanted me to be understand that it's not going to track my wounded deer for me, or run rabbits, or whatever.

I agree with the testing and to somewhat with the breeding requirements. My current GWP came out of NAVHDA lines. The breeder was getting dogs straight from Germany. I was just curious what your takes were on it.

I agree with the testing and to somewhat with the breeding requirements. My current GWP came out of NAVHDA lines. The breeder was getting dogs straight from Germany. I was just curious what your takes were on it.
Well, if he's getting dogs from Germany they are most likely VDD dogs. So, there wouldn't be any difference assuming they were not dogs that washed out of the testing. This would show on the ahnentafel or pedigree.

NAVHDA may be the best program available for training and testing versatile dogs as well. So, the odds seem good that there is very little difference in your case. :)

The guy from Germany came over to hunt pheasants saw what this guy was doing. Went back and bred dogs to send over here. I agree they are VDD stock. He didn’t have any issue sending them to a GWP breeder.

Last edited:
Do your GWP's look the same as a DD? My DD who is gone now had a Farley large frame long hair and real fuzzy face. My GWP has a bit smaller frame ,shorter hair . She has eye brows (not real heavy) and chin whiskers but not real fuzzy features like the DD. Just asking as I do not no the difference

The guy from Germany came over to hunt pheasants saw what this guy was doing. Went back and bred dogs to send over here. I agree they are VDD stock. He didn’t have any issue sending them to a GWP breeder.
The only way to tell confirm it’s a DD is the ear tattoo and ahnentafl. That’s why they cross reference them at tests.

My GWP is a year and and half old and could care less about fur, feathers are a different story. She is a little machine on chuckars . Just got back From Nevada,wind and snowed over a foot. Bit chilly this week camped out. Birds were kegged up.

@JLS @Mule man I'm very jealous of both of you. I'll be attempting to jump shoot some ducks at best if I'm lucky.

Unfortunately, the latest litter didn't take, so we're still looking at being quite a ways out. I was offered a really well trained non-breeder, but my better half couldn't stomach the cost, plus... I mean you only get so many opportunities to get a puppy, and while they're a ton of work, there's not much as cute as a bird dog pup.

Do your GWP's look the same as a DD? My DD who is gone now had a Farley large frame long hair and real fuzzy face. My GWP has a bit smaller frame ,shorter hair . She has eye brows (not real heavy) and chin whiskers but not real fuzzy features like the DD. Just asking as I do not no the difference
My current one does.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back