PEAX Equipment

Day Pack

j_burkWI

My 1st elk hunt is this fall and I'm looking for your thoughts on a good day pack. My group will be staying in a cabin and only making day hunts, nothing overnight. I've checked out Outdoorsmans and Kuiu as they seem to be highly recommended. I have 2 things that I do wonder about with those though; all appear to be quite a bit larger than what I think I'll need and most are pretty pricey for something that at best I'll use for 1 trip a year. Tenzing packs look pretty solid to me, the TZ 4000 looks like a good pack. Not sure what's a good size day pack without being too big while still being suitable for packing out meat.

Badlands 2200; I use this pack all the time. Can carry more than I need, pack meat, good price, acceptable size and weight, high quality. You won't be disappointed.

I am a Kifaru fan. I have used the same day pack for the past 13 years without a single failure. Kifaru has a new pack that absolutely blows away anything out there. It's expensive at about $900 with all the accessories I would want. Too much money for me to spend on a pack I will probably only be able to use for the next 3 to 5 years.

Last summer, I went on a 5 day back pack trip with the Boy Scout troop from church. I wanted an inexpensive back for this trip since it would probably the only time I used it. I bought a pack by Alps Mountaineering for $69. I was amazed at how well this pack carried my 50 lb load for the 5 days. They have a hunting division, Alps Outdoorz, and I bought their Traverse EPS for $104 on Amazon.com. I will use this pack this year on an archery mule deer hunt in CO where I plan on hiking in 6.5 miles and spending several days in the high country. Here is a link to the company video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IXcBo7G4QU

For $100, you could get a new one every year.

To get what I wanted I made my own. My big thing is hunting the Coast Range for blacktails, and I needed something that was, above all other requirements, quiet. So many of the store-bought options are made out of noisy material and are draped with straps, buckles and do-dads - I thought a pack was something you put things into, not attached to the outside. Went down to the local fabric store and picked up some camo polar fleece and heavy denim. The fleece is for quiet and the denim is for strength. Took some shoulder straps of some worn-out pack laying around the house and made polar fleece tubes to slip over them. Made a pattern for a single-compartment bag, with lid and bottom, and cut out identical pieces of fleece and denim. Lay the denim on top of the back side of polar fleece and sew them together at the edges so you get one piece. Sew up the edges in the appropriate places to get the bag. Sew in the straps at the top and bottom at the same time you do the seams. Measure the opening in the top and get a 2-way zipper to fit. You can add pockets to the inside if you feel the need. Use heavy thread and go over the seams twice. I've been using mine for about 20 years and it shows no sign of wearing out.

Holds: Lunch, water, deer bag, compass, camera, block and tackle, Wyoming saw, p-cord, with room to spare. Keeps me going all day.

A good project for a rainy day.

The Kifaru Nomad is looking pretty appealing to me. I like the fact that it can be loaded up light for day trips but has the capability to be loaded up with all my biv gear.

I'm still waiting to win the lottery to have my pack situation sorted out, but my pack partner was using a Badlands 2200 and didn't like it. Too small for elk and the stitching failed after a year. He bought an Eberlestock Blue Widow and loves it. Wish I could afford one :(

I agree it's to small for elk, if you try to fit the whole thing at once. I've packed out lots of elk with it, deer on one pack. Had mine know for about 6 yrs, zipper heads are finally breaking. Send in and the fix it, lifetime warranty. But, packs are a personal thing. Lots to choose from.

I have the Tenzing 2200 for day hiking and the 6000 for backpacking and love them both. The 4000 would be a great day hunting pack and very reasonable prices. Eberlestock X2 is also a great day pack

I have used eberlestock and for elk I would say the Team Elk pack would be an awesome day pack which is what I use it for, solid frame, fully adjustable to any user and made to last and even includes the rifle scabbard which points your rifle barrel down and keeps the rifle closer to your center of balance right next to your back.
http://www.eberlestock.com/M5 Team Elk Pack.html
Badlands uses a rifle boot system so you can strap a rifle on but this requires you to remove the pack to get your rifle out. I am able to pull my rifle out of the scabbard on the eberlestock while im still wearing it so in my preference I would say Eberlestock but I haven't looked at some of the other pack in as much detail.

I use a fanny pack for day hunts with a frame pack back at the truck. Quarter and hang the elk in bags, throw a leg over my shoulder then drop it and my bow at the truck to pick up the frame. Depending on if I have my young son or dad along it takes two trips anyway so this is what works best for me. If you figure success rates you may be hiking lots of miles with a large pack and sweaty shoulders in between kills.

The X2 is a sweet daypack capable of an overnighter or getting the first quarter out. My son has one but it just feels a touch small for me at 6-1. When I bivy hunt or go way in I use a North Face that has carbon fiber stays in an "X" config and real load lifters. By far the most comfortable pack for me for hiking and packing a rear quarter and I've used packs from most all major brands before settling on a non "hunting" pack.

For pure meat hauling I love the Cabelas Alaskan in it's current configuration. Adjustable, ventilated back and real load lifters. It carries the same if there is 20lbs or 120lbs.

Everyone has what they think is the best and it takes some time to get it all dialed in. Sometimes that means posting a few classified ads.

Let's be real, for what you'll be using it, don't drop too much money on a pack and spend your $$ on other things for your first hunt. I have a badlands 2200 and that's my primary day pack and also use it for 1-2 nights. I have an external pack frame in the truck when an elk goes down so the 2200 takes out the first quarter, then I use the pack frame.

Think you should also consider Eberlestock.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back