Dare I ask???

Whatever brand you get make sure they are food grade level 5. I wear them under the nitrile gloves. I have had these gloves for 4 seasons now and no holes at all. When i get home I soak them in dawn and hot water to get the grease off, then pop them in the washing machine. I air dry them. Look like new.

At home I use a stainless steel mesh glove, which is heavy and expensive but they work.
That’s just plain smart right there.

I used an outdoor edge with replaceable blades for the last 2 elk I’ve shot and hate it. Im going back to my heavy case knife and I’ll bring a small sharpener.
The added few ounces in the pack will be worth it as opposed to messing with that.

In my glory days I carried a small old timer and a buck knife with a blade about 4” long. It was all I ever needed.
If I was just starting out I would surely look into disposable blade tech.

Outdoor edge with replaceable blades is the way to go. I have cleaned around 100 animals a year for the past 7 years with one. Mostly deer and hogs but 3 elk in that past 3 years with one. Can finish an elk with one blade if u know what u are doing. Hair will dull any knife quick. Keep a water bottle in ur pack to dispose of the blades.

I have been using the outdoor edge the last several years and have loved it. As mentioned above i also wear a filet glove under my nitrile gloves. it can save you a trip top the ER to get stiches. All depends on what you want out of your knife and what you want to spend. I use a wide variety of knives when we process deer for others in the fall. Most are older buck knives the steel is alot better on some of those vs the new ones. But i have access to my sharpener at all times at home vs in the field.

I have been using the outdoor edge the last several years and have loved it. As mentioned above i also wear a filet glove under my nitrile gloves. it can save you a trip top the ER to get stiches. All depends on what you want out of your knife and what you want to spend. I use a wide variety of knives when we process deer for others in the fall. Most are older buck knives the steel is alot better on some of those vs the new ones. But i have access to my sharpener at all times at home vs in the field.
I’d like to be able to do at least 1 elk without sharpening. Also spend under 250?

It's just me but I think every elk hunter should carry a nice folding or fixed blade knife they can re sharpen. Just seems right to me.
However I can see the replaceable blade knives being very handy. I hate them for the cut factor, it just icks me out, lol.

Spouse does most of the skinning these days but I do help, and do my own when hunting alone. We do gutless with hair on so just making the skin cuts saves on blade touch ups but they happen on almost every elk.
I have to say I've been sorely diasppointed to pull out my knife and find I forgot to sharpen it before I hit the field. That is what the backup knife is for I guess.
The replaceable blades don't have that issue so a point for them.

I will admit I love knives and collect a few so I always have a handmade knife in my pocket.
CTE look at some Benchmade knives or see if you have a local bladesmith near you.

I soured a bit on disposable blades last season. Probably keep one in my pack but I'll be very careful when using them. Didn't take a whole lot of pressure for this to happen. PXL_20210918_180708271.jpg

I guess I’m the only guy using a Havalon.

I keep a back up Buck Lite knife but never use it. Replaceable blades are so much sharper and easier to replace than trying to keep a fixed blade sharp.

I soured a bit on disposable blades last season. Probably keep one in my pack but I'll be very careful when using them. Didn't take a whole lot of pressure for this to happen. View attachment 234288
Something similar happened to me last fall. Trying to finish quartering an elk as light is fading. Not exactly sure where the broken piece ended up.
I can say with a lot of confidence that my heavy fixed blade wouldn’t do that.
A lot of guys love the changeable blades and that’s great, whatever works for them. I just prefer to carry a small sharpener vs packs of extra blades now.

I really don't want a super sharp knife when working around inside the animal (I am no fan of gutless method), especially in cold weather. However, I do prefer a very sharp pointy one for cutting the bung hole and channel loose but after that I am content to finish up with a reasonably sharp Mora or my old 1930s carbon steel KaBar 4" drop point.

I’m another that used to really like the replacement blade knives but don’t use mine as much as I used to. Last couple years I’ve been using a lightweight set of CRKT knives and a bench made more than anything

I have to say that the EBS looks more substantial than the Vital. If I were buying a replaceable blade knife I would go that route.

Carbon steel blades can sharpen much better than stainless blades. It takes A lot longer to field dress an elk at night. That is when sharp knives really shine. Pulling off a cape makes things alot harder...a big bull has a very thick neck sheath to cut through. It takes a longer blade to hit the hip joint and cut off the hind qrts. I have seen videos where guys saw through the meat with dull knives. That is exactly what you don’t want to do. I see a lot of hunters using Moras, and for good reason. Just so happens that they don’t cost much, but I would give 10x the money to own one.

Found this link rather interesting: https://mtnweekly.com/reviews/best-hunting-camping-knives/

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back