Danner Pronghorn thoughts

prhunter

I'm currently seeking any input regarding the Danner PRONGHORN boot. I'm considering getting a new pair for this hunting season. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Guy
Good, not great. What are you hunting and where? Deer in Texas, probably OK. Elk in Colorado, better boots out there.
I mainly hunt New Mexico and Arizona. Colorado occasionally. We use the Danners at work but they are the law enforcement model. They seem to be an OK boot. I wanted to try their hunting model.

Last edited:
They're decent boots. They're fairly soft as a "mountain boot" Even with the 10" height (I think that's what it is) there isn't a ton of support. Wouldn't be bad for say a late season mule deer hunt in more gentle terrain, but I wouldn't use them for a backcountry elk hunt in steep terrain or something like that.

They are ok. I had a pair that lasted 4 years with a lot of hard miles. they never kept my feet dry. the fit was better for me than a lot of more expensive brands

My Danners were very comfortable yet very inadequate for hard hunting in the mountains. I have weak ankles and they failed to give good support.

I've had multiple pairs; they replaced the original leaking pair, time and time again until they just said they weren't replacing them anymore. I then bought a new pair on a 1/2 off sale. Finally wore them a year later and they leaked in 15 seconds from walking across the wet lawn. On the flip side I have friends that love them.

I have had a pair for years .Even had the bottoms resouled. Compfy but no good for water. I am in AZ , its ok.........BOB!

When they were what I could afford, they were ok. Now that I can afford better boots they are cold weather work boots. They leak, and they really aren’t that warm for what they are. Mine are 400gram thinsulate. For active hunting and rough terrain, or packing weight, I wear miendl’s. They were what fit my feet the best. For really wet, or stationary hunting-treestand, etc I have started wearing mucks. I would not recommend the pronghorn for elk hunting in elevation or snow. Best of luck.

I have had 2 pairs of pronghorns. Like others mentioned, not great in the mountains. However, they are excellent in the prairie going after antelope, pheasants and grouse. I put a ton of miles on mine. Neither of my pair leaked even standing in water in marshy areas looking for birds. Maybe I am lucky.

Not a fan. Not a good enough heel, not supportive enough, not tough enough. There are better Danner elk hunting boots out there. There are better boots than Danner. Meindl for one.

Loved my pronghorns (as long as it was dry terrain.) They were comfy and supportive enough for me but the waterproofing left quite a bit to be desired.

disappointing with all Danner. Living in Oregon i tried to support them manyy times. Both Pronghorns were disappointing. First pair had o/s out soles that were slick in snow. 2nd pair did not hold but a couple seasons. Being I am so smart i upgraded and bought their full curl ( again trying to support local company) ( most expensive boots they sell). While they are very waterproof and excellent traction, they are very stiff and rubber lining guard from sole to boots starting coming off after first couple wears. Can only wear a couple days till they hurt my feet and they have a wide toe box and still hurt. Very hard to lace up.

Next boots will be kennetrek

I'm currently seeking any input regarding the Danner PRONGHORN boot. I'm considering getting a new pair for this hunting season. Thanks in advance.
What size do you wear? I have a lightly used pair that are just a little small for me I'd part with

I've been using them for the last six years or so, in both mountain and prairie and actually liked them quite a bit. The only time I got blisters were the first day I wore the second pair. Hiked too rough of terrain without breaking them in. My fault. But never got blisters again. As far as leaking, mine didn't leak as bad as the people in the previous posts, but they didn't stay waterproof as long as I would have liked, even with oiling the leather. They did seperate between the sole an leather which obviously caused them to leak more. But they were real comfortable and warm. Feet rarely got cold. I'd recommend them, but don't expect them to last much longer than a year or two.

On a side note, I just bought a new pair of crispis. They seem to be taking longer to break in. Not too impressed. But maybe they don't fit quite properly. We'll see.

I’ve had mine about a season and can echo some of the sentiments mentioned above, but I feel they’re still a pretty good boot. For flatter terrain, I like them. (Grouse hunting, pheasants, Whitetail’s in the river bottoms) I’ve had to oil mine a few times when the leather started getting dry, but my feet have yet to get wet in them. I’m going to stick with my Crispis for the steep stuff, but my Danners will be coming with me for flatland Whitetail’s and upland birds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back