Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Danner 453 or 452 Radical Hikers?

You don't need boots, just get some hikers like a Merril Moab for about $100 and buy another pair when they wear out.

You don't need boots, just get some hikers like a Merril Moab for about $100 and buy another pair when they wear out.
This! For me, Merrill's are super comfortable. Many of the boots the OP has listed are quite stiff. Stiff boots are great for certain situations, but standing all day on a hard surface (concrete I suspect) is not one of them. For his situation, I'd be looking toward a more flexible boot. More along the lines of something sold for upland bird hunting. The Kangaroo leather uplands boots from Cabelas have had my attention for sometime and they come in under $200. I have had great luck with Merrills for every day wear. I'd suggest a look at the Chameleon 5 Mid and the Phaser Peak models.

I have had three pair of 452's and will be wearing a pair today. The uppers are incredibly tuff and after years of use still hold up very very well. The soles will last 3-4 years but generally are slick in wet conditions.

Well throw out my recommendation, I was thinking you were looking for a hunting boot.

Check out bootbarn.com They've got a good selection of work boots, I like the Chippewas, also made in USA and reconstructable.

Last edited:
Last I heard all Danners were made over seas.

The last pair I bought was US made, I hope their high end stuff still is.

They aren't designed as well as my kenetreks, but they're a big step above as far as built quality and durability.

JLS, the Idaho USA great boot. I agree fit is usually the culprit, not in this case though. There is a seam with a lip underneath the lining of the boot. It is something that is being addressed but no changes have been made as of yet.

The last pair I bought was US made, I hope their high end stuff still is.

They aren't designed as well as my kenetreks, but they're a big step above as far as built quality and durability.

Danner still has some USA made boots. I personally have loved the Danner Cragrats.

I would shift your search to REI over Cabela's for what you are looking for. I where Lowa Zephyrs for work and recently have been wearing Salomon Quest GTXs and they are awesome. I took them out to WY twice this fall and my feet felt great. I own a pair of 452s and I would never where them on any kind of hike, way to stiff and heavy.

Ok, thanks guys. I really like the recommendations. When Christmas gets here I'll be able to afford the shopping spree!

Emrah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back