MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Danner 453 or 452 Radical Hikers?

emrah1028

Well, I'd like to invest in some quality footwear. I've narrowed it down to Danner. Can anyone tell me the difference between the 453 and 452 models? I'm looking at them at the Cabela's site and can SEE some differences, but the info/write-up/blurb does not say what the differences between them are.

Anyone have experience with these?

Thanks,

Emrah

P.S. I know the recommendations are coming, but I'm not interested in Kennetrek, Kuiu or Under Armour boots. Thanks

According to their Website,the 453 has an all leather upper. It's also a little heavier.

I know you said don't bother but you owe it to yourself to give Kennetrek a shot.

my honest opinion while looking at the 453 at the store is they were super heavy and stiff i went with cloud myself...decent boot for my style held up for a couple seasons now

Of those two I'd go for the 453 based on the tread as a hunting boot. Check them out on the Danner website for writeup and reviews and other options. Looking on the Danner website, you should check out the East Ridge, about the same price range, 2" taller, and in a boot made in the USA.

Last edited:
I'm looking at Danner again after my Meindls pretty much wore out on the inside lining after 4 years.

The next ones I get will be stitch down construction and USA made. Those would be rebuildable. Lighter, I'll use my trail runners, Colder and wetter I'll wear Pacs.

So are the ones not made in the usa non-re-solable? I've never had re-buildable shoes before.

I'll revise my previous guidelines. I guess I'm looking for a sub-$200 (sub-$150 on sale would be nicer) mid-height (4-6") boots. They need to last. They need to be waterproof. I don't want them too heavy. They need to be CUSHIONED!!! (Most important to me). They don't necessarily need to be insulated, but light insulation (say, 400 gram?) would be fine.

Anything that fits?

Emrah

So are the ones not made in the usa non-re-solable? I've never had re-buildable shoes before.

I'll revise my previous guidelines. I guess I'm looking for a sub-$200 (sub-$150 on sale would be nicer) mid-height (4-6") boots. They need to last. They need to be waterproof. I don't want them too heavy. They need to be CUSHIONED!!! (Most important to me). They don't necessarily need to be insulated, but light insulation (say, 400 gram?) would be fine.

Anything that fits?

Emrah

Not if you want them to last.

What's your definition of "last"? Depending on use/abuse the Irish Setter line warrants a look at that price.

I bought a pair of cabela's by meindl a couple months ago. I can't remember what model exactly. I believe they were on sale for 225, a little out of the price range you want but well worth it. They are 800 gram, but I use cool max liners (cabelas) and wool socks and they are comfortable throughout a variety of temp ranges. They weight 3.5 lbs for the pair and they are extremely comfortable, with good ankle support.

I think the East Ridge ones are rebuildable, though they are a 8" boot. Didn't see any of the hiking style boots in that price range that are rebuildable. Hem, quite a few models are still made in the US.

IMO if your diving in for $200 might as well save up and go to $400 to get a solid leather boot that will actually hold up for several resoles.

I'll never understand why some guys will spend top dollar for other equipment, but when it comes to the single piece of gear that has the most potential to leave you crippled, they won't spend the extra cash, or take time to find a boot that fits them proper. Not saying this is you, Emrah, but I see a lot of it.

I had a pair of 452s. They made it through a few seasons before the soles wore out. I liked them just fine for what they are.

Ok, how about these Cabela;s branded Meindls?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Perfekt-Hikers-by-Meindl/748580.uts
Also considering the ";Perfekt Light" version (the url was like 20 lines long so I didn't copy/post it)

While I would love to be one of you guys chasing elk and mulies up and down mountainous Western states, the reality is these will be every day boots (in fact, I have a total of 1.5 days hunting all season, so I really AM living vicariously through you all).

I work as a race car mechanic, so I'm on my feet ALL day long. They need to be cushioned and comfortable and durable. I'm not going to be using them for climbing jagged rock cliffs packing out 600 pounds of meat. I'll be working in and around cars, hopping over pit wall, etc.

I live in MN, so at home, they will also be my go-to snow/slush winter boots to keep the brown and black muck out of my regular shoes. And yes, I WILL go hunting in them (growing baby willing) next year, but in marshy, forested timber in MN.

I'm not above paying $$$ but I also want to be realistic about what capabilities I want from the boots. I mostly want comfort (and cushioned comfort that won't go "flat" after 3 months), waterproof and semi-decent tread.

Emrah

Emrah, I know it just muddies the water even more, but have you looked at any of the Lowas? I wear boots all-day six days a week and a few hours on Sundays. I've been very happy with my Lowa Zephyr Desert boots, I have both the Gore-Tex and non Gore-Tex models. I've used several of the Danner models and had good luck with them, but personally have been happier with the Lowas. I normally don't get much more than a year out of any work boot.

I have a pair of Lowa Zephyrs also. I really like them, kind of like a high tpo tennis shoe. I wouldn't ever wear them for anything very rugged, but they have their niche.

Do not buy the cabelas meindl boots. They eat your heels alive and are shit for traction. Not just my opinion, common complaint about these boots. If your looking for a better boot, look at Crispi.

Do not buy the cabelas meindl boots. They eat your heels alive and are shit for traction. Not just my opinion, common complaint about these boots. If your looking for a better boot, look at Crispi.

I really like my Crispi Idaho's. I have a lot of miles on them this fall and have been very happy with them.

Also, not to be a smartass or anything, but if a boot eats your heels it's because it doesn't fit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back