Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Damn carpetbaggers!

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
This happens so often in Montana, it is hardly news anymore. But, it is still disturbing to read this stuff. Especially for those of us who rely on public access and who know the Forest Service is specifically being targeted and de-funded by folks with the political influence this guy has.

Always a common thread - some out of state millionaire/billionaire comes and buys his piece of paradise. He and his agents don't do their due diligence of MT land law and then they find out they really bought something that has a lot of public access.

Rather than fess up and live with their mistake, they lawyer up, hire some lobbyists, and try their best to get their home state DC delegates to come and lay the pipe to MT residents.

If you guy land in another state, best to adopt the land ethic of that state and leave your home state habits (and attorneys) at home. For those of you who might wonder why MT folks get worked up about these kind of issues, read this article about just one of many attempts to close historic public access, and it will probably provide some perspective of how MT hunters look at this stuff.

A long read, but a very good piece by the reporter that puts a lot of this stupidity into the proper context.

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/politics/article_97d0a430-0209-11e3-be3f-001a4bcf887a.html

Maybe we need to have a big-assed caravan of loud black smoking diesels head up the hill and park right in his driveway that has encroached on this public access.

Imagine if someone came and built on an easement this guy owns and tried to stop this guy from accessing his land. Odds are, he would be lawyered up even more. But, I doubt he is able to put himself in those shoes.

Damn carpetbaggers!

This sucks. While I'm not I resident of your state, I DO pay fees to come enjoy its public resources and hate to see them diminished. I might be a "little guy" with my non-resident combo tag, but understand the frustration. Down here in Georgia, we've put up with similar BS; mostly from "carpetbaggers" down in Florida.

My point is that this problem doesn't seem to discriminate across state lines, and we all need to stick together to protect our resources. I also know that there's others like me/us out there, and there should be more. I do like the caravan idea, but don't have direct access to a diesel for personal use. Please let me know what other ideas you might have to take action.

Justice would be if they made him tear his cabin down because he didn't build where he said he would.

Thanks for getting me all worked up Randy. This one, like all others has me seeing red. Hopefully with this issue being made public, that it will be taken care of properly.

Unbelievable!!!

If you want to see the offending property enter 45 17 45N 111 21 54W into Google Earth. (Or even just Google.)

Last edited:
Always a common thread - some out of state millionaire/billionaire comes and buys his piece of paradise. He and his agents don't do their due diligence of MT land law and then they find out they really bought something that has a lot of public access.

I'm more inclined to believe he wasn't that dumb. Closing off public access to the ground north of him would make the land much more valuable.

$$$ but no Sense, it is depressing. Public access is getting harder and harder, and it is mainly because of stuff like this. I used to hunt a really large unit in CO, access got smaller each year, and when the pipelines went through the signs went up like mad. All the while, somebody's pockets got full, and a bunch of hardworking stiffs had to walk 3-4 miles out of the way to avoid the trespass. Your right, until they settle this dispute, you ought to find everyone with drivers license and plan a little trip to their favorite spot on the same day.

Whether the weasel is a first or fifth generation land owner he is still a weasel. Seems pretty easy to determine if he is on the wrong side of an easement line. If he is over the line (in both meanings of the word) then the blockage of the rightful access must be removed. If a REASONABLE altering of the easement boundaries could be accomplished to allow access and prevent the weasel from costly rebuilding that is a kind generous solution from the state of Montana.

Three Act Farce:

Forest Service manager Bob Dennee said construction had begun before the Forest Service was aware of the house. When they notified Schlueter of the encroachment, he didn't stop building, Dennee said

The Forest Service has never filed a notice of encroachment.

When asked if anything could help the Forest Service fend off disputes, Erickson said more resources — money and manpower - would help so another house wouldn't pop up without being noticed.

Justice would be if they made him tear his cabin down because he didn't build where he said he would.

Elkantlers nailed it with his statement. The problem is this piece of work will get his way and set the precedent for future decisions and encourage others to try the same thing.

If you want to see the offending property enter 45 17 45N 111 21 54W into Google Earth. (Or even just Google.) The house NW or there on the ridge is even more sickening to me.

Can you make the hairpin turn to the right and still continue up the road to the trailhead?

I just noticed Google Earth has a 1995 view of the place so you can see he literally built his place in the middle of the road.

And for you folks that think he was dumb... trust me, this crap goes on all the time. It would be unusual if it was a mistake. It is pretty easy to get forgiveness after the fact because the Forest Service (or any Gov agency) is so underfunded and toothless that they can't do much about it. And if he doesn't win, the FS will just build a cut-across road and not prosecute Schlueter as part of the settlement.

Elkantlers nailed it with his statement. The problem is this piece of work will get his way and set the precedent for future decisions and encourage others to try the same thing.

You are 30 years or more too late for that....

Schlueter_zps2826d245.png

I simply cannot believe that they could let something like this happen across an easement. Reading that article is pretty clear cut as to what has taken place.
I'd hate to see a public emergency happen further up the trail past his house and road access for a response team be unable to reach the destination purely because some arrogant human thought he could building a friggin house where ever he wanted.
Seems like you guys have rules for the rich and rules for the 'common' person.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back