Dam Yanks Scheduled

RockyDog

For those of you who like to debate pulling dams, i got this in an email from water industry magazine this morning.

Fifty-seven Dams in 16 States to be Removed in 2003, Group Says

Fifty-seven dams in 15 states and the District of Columbia are scheduled for removal in 2003, according to American Rivers.

Each summer, American Rivers surveys government and private conservation organizations to determine how many dams and other obstructions have been or are scheduled to be removed in that calendar year.

More than 114 dams have been removed since 1999 when the breaching of Edwards Dam on Maine's Kennebec River captured national attention. According to American Rivers, this trend is the result of two converging developments -- a growing appreciation of the ecological benefits of removing dams and the rapid aging of much of the nation's dam infrastructure.

"Communities across the country are experiencing a new beginning on their local rivers," said Serena McClain, of American Rivers' Rivers Unplugged campaign. "And while many regard these efforts as dam removals before they happen, afterwards they are remembered as river restorations."

For the latest news briefs, click here.

CJ,

You are the man.... the phone calls are working,and some of the dams are coming down. But make sure you are asking about the dams on the Lower Snake River, the ones that provide no economic value, and have endangered EVERY run of Wild Salmon in Idaho.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Dam Yanks Scheduled<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I thought you were referring to that 80's band with Ted Nugent and that guitarist from Styx. Then I realized that was "Damn Yankees" and you must be talking about something else.
rolleyes.gif

In all honesty, I had no idea that so many dams were breached in the past few years. I knew there were some, but not THAT many. No wonder it's such a hot topic.

I called Mcpain, John Kyle, and told their office to work on the dept. of interior to knock down old outdated dams on the lower snake river, as it will help the salmon.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Orth
Back