Dall Sheep Round 6

Did you guys see many ewes/lambs? We didn't see a single lamb, and only a dozen or so ewes. Saw a few 3-6yo rams. Not a lot of sheep in general though. Hearing much the same from many others.

I think we might of saw a total of 30 ewes and maybe a 3-5 lambs. My brother was commenting on how few there were. They supposedly had a nasty spring in most of Alaska that took it's toll on the sheep. Makes me worried about the years to come. Hopefully they will have an easy one this year.

I was in Delta last week trying to get a buddy a ram. Flying in 40 mile said it was a bad year on lambs and older rams and they were getting 20 to 30 % success out of Tok and Delta this year. I figured we could find my buddy a legal ram, but might not want to be too picky. Well I was wrong, hiked around 35 miles and didn't see a legal until the last day as we were hiking out to catch the plane, of course that one was on the other side of the river. At least the weather was nice. :rolleyes:

Did you guys see many ewes/lambs? We didn't see a single lamb, and only a dozen or so ewes. Saw a few 3-6yo rams. Not a lot of sheep in general though. Hearing much the same from many others.

I was in Delta last week trying to get a buddy a ram. Flying in 40 mile said it was a bad year on lambs and older rams and they were getting 20 to 30 % success out of Tok and Delta this year. I figured we could find my buddy a legal ram, but might not want to be too picky. Well I was wrong, hiked around 35 miles and didn't see a legal until the last day as we were hiking out to catch the plane, of course that one was on the other side of the river. At least the weather was nice. :rolleyes:

Damn that sucks. Buddy was up there opening week, saw 4 legal rams, his partner killed the best one, and he passed on the others hoping for something better. Ended up not getting one. He went back last week and hunted off the highway and got a shot at another ram, but missed.

This spring was tough on everything. Snow on the ground and frozen creeks well into May.

We didn't see a lamb, not a lot of sheep either. Seems to be the norm from most everyone I've talked to. Going to be a tough few years in the near future. Might be time to actually limit NR instead of giving them our sheep for cash? :D

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back