Dall sheep/Moose 2010

ashersdad

I got an early Fathers Day present. My wife let me book a dall sheep/moose hunt for Sept. 2010. Since she got me a treadmill for my birthday, I think it's all part of her master plan to get me into shape. Oh well, I guess I'll have to make her happy and get my fat butt into shape.;)

congrats, who ya gonna go through? its nice having a wife that understands.

WOWZER!!! I'd be tickled pink with a leaf blower! You did good, congrats and keep us posted on each and every detail of the planning and hunt.

Thanks guys. I am booked with Max Schwab out of Talkeetna. Two of my cousins went with Max a few years ago and both got nice rams. I have talked to close to 20 people that have hunted with Max over the last 10 years. Sounds like a no frills, backpack, mountain climbing hunt. Just what I am looking for! I am so excited!!

Corey<

Great talking with you the other day. You did well choosing Max, and you'll have a great hunt.

Here are a couple of picks from guys in 07.

Looking forward to hooking up on one of your Seattle trips.

Attachments

• alaska_021[1] (2).jpg
    alaska_021[1] (2).jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 986
  • alaska_077[1] (3).jpg
    alaska_077[1] (3).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,026
As far as putting clients on game, I've only heard good things about his operation. I don't know if it's bad or good, but I've heard from a couple of his sheep clients that its typical to have 1 or 2 day hunts.

Thanks Bryan. It was good talking with you and I'm looking forward to meeting you in person. Thanks for the pictures and the advice.

Bone<

You are right about his sheep hunters. They normally are done fairly quick. I chose the first hunt, and got 2 full days of scouting in before wacking my ram 10:30 am on the opener in 07. I talked with my guide after the 08 season. Seems its a little more crowded in the Wood River then it used to be due to the Chugach going permit. I think Max went 5 for 6 in 08, but it took a bit longer it terms of days hunted.

The day we took off after my ram, I told my guide to pack enough food for a couple of days because if we got on a decent ram, I didn't want to be coming back to camp. I wanted to put him to bed, and stay on him until we got it done. I guess my hunt was pretty easy compared to most sheep hunts, but it still was an awesome experience.

Your hunt was text book, and your ram was well earned. I guess every hunt is a little different. I'm glad ours both ended with nice rams.:D

Wood River area has been getting hammered by the guides the last 10 years or so. Had a friend that was looking for a place to hunt sheep a few years back so I sent him there with another friend of mine. Both stated that the guides had hunters in every drainage and valley but they managed to find a spot that wasn't being hunted. He took a nice fat full curl ram but my other friend didn't get one. Use to be a hell of a place to hunt sheep and not many people hunted there, guess word got out. I thought Max hunted the Talkeetnas?

max used to hunt the talkeetnas till that got hammered by guides then he moved up north to the wood area...thus the cycle continues...

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back