PEAX Equipment

Dall sheep/Moose 2010

ashersdad

I got an early Fathers Day present. My wife let me book a dall sheep/moose hunt for Sept. 2010. Since she got me a treadmill for my birthday, I think it's all part of her master plan to get me into shape. Oh well, I guess I'll have to make her happy and get my fat butt into shape.;)

congrats, who ya gonna go through? its nice having a wife that understands.

WOWZER!!! I'd be tickled pink with a leaf blower! You did good, congrats and keep us posted on each and every detail of the planning and hunt.

Thanks guys. I am booked with Max Schwab out of Talkeetna. Two of my cousins went with Max a few years ago and both got nice rams. I have talked to close to 20 people that have hunted with Max over the last 10 years. Sounds like a no frills, backpack, mountain climbing hunt. Just what I am looking for! I am so excited!!

Corey<

Great talking with you the other day. You did well choosing Max, and you'll have a great hunt.

Here are a couple of picks from guys in 07.

Looking forward to hooking up on one of your Seattle trips.

Attachments

• alaska_021[1] (2).jpg
    alaska_021[1] (2).jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 986
  • alaska_077[1] (3).jpg
    alaska_077[1] (3).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,026
As far as putting clients on game, I've only heard good things about his operation. I don't know if it's bad or good, but I've heard from a couple of his sheep clients that its typical to have 1 or 2 day hunts.

Thanks Bryan. It was good talking with you and I'm looking forward to meeting you in person. Thanks for the pictures and the advice.

Bone<

You are right about his sheep hunters. They normally are done fairly quick. I chose the first hunt, and got 2 full days of scouting in before wacking my ram 10:30 am on the opener in 07. I talked with my guide after the 08 season. Seems its a little more crowded in the Wood River then it used to be due to the Chugach going permit. I think Max went 5 for 6 in 08, but it took a bit longer it terms of days hunted.

The day we took off after my ram, I told my guide to pack enough food for a couple of days because if we got on a decent ram, I didn't want to be coming back to camp. I wanted to put him to bed, and stay on him until we got it done. I guess my hunt was pretty easy compared to most sheep hunts, but it still was an awesome experience.

Your hunt was text book, and your ram was well earned. I guess every hunt is a little different. I'm glad ours both ended with nice rams.:D

Wood River area has been getting hammered by the guides the last 10 years or so. Had a friend that was looking for a place to hunt sheep a few years back so I sent him there with another friend of mine. Both stated that the guides had hunters in every drainage and valley but they managed to find a spot that wasn't being hunted. He took a nice fat full curl ram but my other friend didn't get one. Use to be a hell of a place to hunt sheep and not many people hunted there, guess word got out. I thought Max hunted the Talkeetnas?

max used to hunt the talkeetnas till that got hammered by guides then he moved up north to the wood area...thus the cycle continues...

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back