dall sheep from britsh columbia

Larry Landgren

Thaught I would post a pic of the dall sheep my dad just killed up in british columbia a few weeks ago. I guess it scored 163" and had 14 7/8" bases . It really is a good looking healthy sheep compared to the deserts we have down here . They also hunted for caribou while they were there but spent 2-3 days walking hard to locate them with no luck on this trip.

dadsdall2.jpg

Congrats! Don't wipe the dirt off and you may be able to pass it off as a Stone's or Fannin! ;)

Would love to hear any other details or stories from the hunt. Mtn Sheep are a definitely 'must-do' for me before I die...

14 7/8" bases is freakin massive for a dall!
Ditto on leaving the dirt 1pointer, it could pass for a fannin!
Congrats to your pops Larry!

Man Larry your Dad's been getting out lately! Tell him congrats on another great trophy!

Ooops...my bad, thought it wa your Pops that shot that great 8x8 on the elk thread....kudos anyway!!!!

Congrats on the sheep. What a sack he has on him. I remember taking my son over to a friends to see his lifesize Desert. My son walked around the back and looks at me and says that thing has huge balls dad. Anyways awesome sheep.

Nice ram Larry. Is your dad a resident of B. C.? If not, I would hope this is a Yukon Ram. B. C. only has a small herd of Dall sheep up in a small section of the N. W. corner of the province, and is open to residents only on a very limited draw basis.

He is not a bc resident and all i know is he shot in in the northern territory. I will ask him when I talk to him later were he killed it. I do know he did not have to apply for the tag he just baught.

is that dirt or a few dark hairs? I have always heard that if the ram has any dark hairs at all its a stone. I would hope its a Stone since Dalls are much easier to come by.

Looks like dirt to me. The dall sheep I shot in the Yukon had a few black hairs in the cape on closer inspection, but I wouldn't call it a fannin. The area I hunted (which was just to the east of where Ithaca 37 took his fannin) is known to have a fair percent of fannin sheep. Because stone sheep are getting harder and more expensive to come by, more and more people are trying to include their dall ram with a few black hairs as a stone for grand slam purposes. Kind of silly if you ask me.....the only difference is a few white or black hairs......still the same sheep.

First off--Congrats to your dad on a handsome ram.

I think it is a Fannin. Fannin sheep are not a distinct sub-species just a color phase that tends to occur in some populations of Yukon Dalls.
Based on the photo--rocky alpine tundra doesn't have much dirt and its not wet, so unless that ram rolled down a scree slope just out of frame on to that spot, or was dragged there for dressing/caping and pictures then I'd say he's a Fannin ram.

Either way--a nice ram taken in beautiful high country.

Hey Larry...how'd your dad manage to kill such a nice ram with out flip flops anyway :D

Eric,

Based on the dark sky and Larry's dad wearing a rain jacket, my guess is it had just rained and the ram is wet. IMO it's a dirty wet dall, not a fannin. Either way your right, it is a nice ram!

Weather it's a Fanni or a hinni, tell me about this hunt.

I was debating on going to Aftica next year but after hiking with T-bone I'm thinking about doing a Stone or Dall hunt. Jsut wondering how many Bones he dropped for this hunt. You can PM me with the number if ya like, It might be to big to post here ;)

Kudos !

It is a true dall sheep that came out of british columbia. I guess they glassed a large heard of around 20 rams together and spent over 20 hours staying with them and trying to decide wich was the heaviest ram. 4 out of those 20 hours he had to lay on his stomach in the rain to keep from pushing them farther. The sheep tag cost him $17,000 . If your wanting to hunt these next year Moosie I can get the contact info for you.

That's a nice ram. Tell you dad congrats.
My Dall ram last fall came from the AK range and had a patch of black hair on his back. I found out its not uncommon for the area I was in.
Fanin.jpg

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back