PEAX Equipment

Custom Rifle

I can't think of anyone that truly does it all from wood inletting to engraving at the highest levels across the board, but they may be out there.

This guy does it all. I’ve watched quite a few of his videos and had some in length conversations with him. He is a old school real deal. Just be prepared to pay if you want him to produce you a wood stock.

BrentD, this guy is up your alley. Just go to his rifles page and start drooling.

Vikingsguy, the stock in the link is a great stock that gives the best of both worlds. It would also work with that M704 action I posted earlier as that is a 700 footprint.

I love Remington M700 and Model Seven or push fed Winchester M70 actions(although I'm not a fan of 3 position safeties). I couldn't imagine an aftermarket action giving me more accuracy or durability than I'm getting with factory actions.
I mainly use B&C stocks and bought a McMillan stock last year to lighten up my Model Seven. If I were wanting a heavier weight rifle, like you stated, I'd go the B&C or HS stock route.

Last edited:
If you are ordering a mcmillan or manners count on 6 months to get the stock. Although right hands may be more available. I have a manners eh2, and mcmillan gamewarden and game scout if you are ever up this way and want put your hands on them before you order.

This guy does it all. I’ve watched quite a few of his videos and had some in length conversations with him. He is a old school real deal. Just be prepared to pay if you want him to produce you a wood stock.

Real gunsmith! Haha I love his made up words on his YouTube videos also!

I've worked with four different gunsmiths over the last 10 years for six custom builds, and Eddie Fosnaugh has been my favorite to work with. He is widely known for is exceptional Cerakote work, but he builds really nice rifles as well.

6CEBD7AB-10D0-4119-9CC4-06D4948EB9B4.jpegI’ve had a couple of customs built.
First was a 700 5R 308. I had the action trued, rebarreled with a 24” Krieger Sendero contour chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I kept the HS stock, bedded it and added their bottom metal. It’s insanely accurate with factory Amax and my handloads. A couple of years ago I switched to a McMillan A5 and Seekins bottom metal.
I’m on my second Krieger.

Last edited:
Doubt you will have a custom back for this hunting season, so I'd take that into consideration of your plans. Since you are interested in the 280AI and long, sleek bullets you'll need to pay attention to mag length of the action. Some are longer than others. LOTS of custom actions out there that get great reviews, you just need to narrow down what you want in the action. 'Twer it me, I'd probably get something on the Rem 700 footprint as that opens up stock options over others. I'd also prefer a fixed recoil lug and picatinny scope base as well as the option for a 3pos safety or at least one that locks the bolt down when on.

Help us help you by letting us know what attributes you want in action and, if any, deal breakers.

Yeah this is an elk November 2020 project. Thanks for the thought on action considerations, it is the part of the rifle I know the the least about non-factory choices. I agree on fixed lug. The thought of staying R700 compatible is a big one, even just making home tweaks on Tikkas is a good reminder that everything fits a 700, only a few things fit a Tikka, on the fence about picatinny integral to the action cuz then I have to make a permanent call on 0 MOA or 20 MOA - intended for hunting now so would go 0 MOA, but what if later I pull it out of the stock and rebuild around something more tactical then I would have wanted the 20, also torn on the 3pos safety - I have guns in each still and haven’t landed on a “perfect for me” choice there. Lots to decide, thanks for your input.

If you are ordering a mcmillan or manners count on 6 months to get the stock. Although right hands may be more available. I have a manners eh2, and mcmillan gamewarden and game scout if you are ever up this way and want put your hands on them before you order.

Drive through fairly routinely in the summer/fall on way to north shore. I will PM you later in the season. Thanks.

There are several vendors that keep the popular McMillans in stock. OTM Tactical, Red Hawk Rifles, Mile High Shooting, usually have some.

Yeah this is an elk November 2020 project. Thanks for the thought on action considerations, it is the part of the rifle I know the the least about non-factory choices. I agree on fixed lug. The thought of staying R700 compatible is a big one, even just making home tweaks on Tikkas is a good reminder that everything fits a 700, only a few things fit a Tikka, on the fence about picatinny integral to the action cuz then I have to make a permanent call on 0 MOA or 20 MOA - intended for hunting now so would go 0 MOA, but what if later I pull it out of the stock and rebuild around something more tactical then I would have wanted the 20, also torn on the 3pos safety - I have guns in each still and haven’t landed on a “perfect for me” choice there. Lots to decide, thanks for your input.
A scope with plenty of internal latitude on board will get a 280AI out farther than I'll ever shoot. YMMV.

A couple I'd consider if I had the $$:

My "custom" that I am in the process of building started with a Winchester mdl 70 black shadow in 300 wsm that was in the safe and not getting used.
Sent the barreled action to http://benchmark-barrels.com to rebarrel in 6.5 PRC following the same factory contour. I'm also having them cerakote the barreled action
in Tungsten. Probably will go with a B&C Ultralight Medalist with a hinged floorplate. Actually prefer blind magazines, never have I opened the floorplate to eject shells,
and your hand stays warmer when packing it, which I always do, just something I learned from my Dad many decades ago. B&C doesn't make a blind magazine stock so I guess I'm stuck with the bottom metal. Already have a Timney trigger sitting on my bench waiting. More than likely will go with a Leupold VX3i 3.5x10x40 in Talley rings. Hopefully the complete rifle will be in the 7.5# range and will have about 2K into it when done.

Remington BDL 700 LA cera'd & trued to a Lilja fluted bedded in a Mickey Edge....rifling as per your cal & bullet weight expectations
Timney Calvin elite tuned to 1.75
Kampfeld Custom bolt dressing (cera'd flutes & Hunter handle)

brockel sorta beat me to it...listen to this man

With a $3000 budget I’d build, put some quality optics on it, buy my reloading stuff for it and still have some cash left over
I’ve got a VX-6HD 3-18x44 in the mail from Scmaltz that will sit on the shelf and wait for me to build the rifle. My $3k is just for rifle parts/smith work

Reactions: FLS
What are you wanting this rifle to do that your other rifles won’t?

In practice, nothing. But each has a little compromise - 25-06 is blued not stainless, I love ballistics of 7mm but want a little more zip than I can push out of my pair of 7mm08s, prefer 280ai ballistics over my two 308s, want barrel thick enough for proper 5/8” threading for a suppressor (none of my dozen rifles are threaded and most are on the thin side), don’t like looks of bolt-on brake on my 300WSM, all of my stocks are about 3/4” short on LOP and the ones in B&C stocks can’t be easily extended, a little less standard cartridge now that I handload etc.

I know that I won’t shoot anymore animals, just trying to build a dream rifle now that I can afford it.

Last edited:
I’ve got a VX-6HD 3-18x44 in the mail from Scmaltz that will sit on the shelf and wait for me to build the rifle. My $3k is just for rifle parts/smith work
Buying the parts yourself or letting the smith do that?

In practice, nothing. But each has a little compromise - 25-06 is blued not stainless, I love ballistics of 7mm but want a little more zip than I can push out of my pair of 7mm08s, prefer 280ai ballistics over my two 308s, want barrel thick enough for proper 5/8” threading for a suppressor (none of my dozen rifles are threaded and most are on the thin side), don’t like looks of bolt-on brake on my 300WSM, all of my stocks are about 3/4” short on LOP and the ones in B&C stocks can’t be easily extended, a little less standard cartridge now that I handload etc.

I know that I won’t shoot anymore animals, just trying to build a dream rifle now that I can afford it.

10-4. When I start thinking about a new rifle, it's always good for me to stop and realistically think about what I want out of the new rifle like you just did.
Sounds like you already know what you want. Now you just need someone to put it together.
I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Some are longer than others. LOTS of custom actions out there that get great reviews, you just need to narrow down what you want in the action. 'Twer it me, I'd probably get something on the Rem 700 footprint as that opens up stock options over others.

The magazine box length on my 700 is very long. I could easily go much longer on the bullets/seating depth if I had the right twist.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back