Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

custom rifle suggestions

jeff_gibbons

Hello HT,
I've decided to have a custom rifle made for hunting. Looking for suggestions from this group on which shop/smith to reach out to.
In case it helps inform suggestions - here are a couple high-level details.
25-06 AI with fast twist carbon barrel and carbon stock, I'd prefer a 3 lug action but remington clone is fine.
also, I've reached out to P_Ham here at HT and am awaiting response.
thanks,
Jeff

Hello HT,
I've decided to have a custom rifle made for hunting. Looking for suggestions from this group on which shop/smith to reach out to.
In case it helps inform suggestions - here are a couple high-level details.
25-06 AI with fast twist carbon barrel and carbon stock, I'd prefer a 3 lug action but remington clone is fine.
also, I've reached out to P_Ham here at HT and am awaiting response.
thanks,
Jeff
Paul does a fine job and I’ve been nothing but happy with him on the 3 projects he has done for me.

I do my own work. You should think about it. Have someone make the barrel and put it on. You can do the rest, especially if just looking at a synthetic stock. It's not rocket science.20240420_112851.jpg
404 Jeffery I built on Brno vz.24 (8mm 98 Mauser).

I do my own work. You should think about it. Have someone make the barrel and put it on. You can do the rest, especially if just looking at a synthetic stock. It's not rocket science.View attachment 324100
I do almost all of my own work.
But the devil is in the details.
@p_ham has shown the attention to detail that merits the accolades he has received.

A short action kimber in 223 cal with a 1 in 8 or 7 twist and 80 gr projectiles(or thereabouts) will kill a wapiti, just don't stretch the barrel

I do my own work. You should think about it. Have someone make the barrel and put it on. You can do the rest, especially if just looking at a synthetic stock. It's not rocket science.View attachment 324100
Thanks for the vote of confidence. But, a man’s gotta know his limitations.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. But, a man’s gotta know his limitations.
Perhaps. Personally, I never accepted limitations. My observation is the current generation, my daughter included (especially), finds excuses to live in a slot. I never could. My life almost slipped away too many times, starting with one cold October night on a mountain at the age of nineteen. I learned early on life is too short and precious to hobble myself with boundaries.

How many rifles have I built? Only this one. How many mentors showed me how to do it? Zero. Well, one if the internet counts. Tonight my ten year-old grandson saw that rifle for the first time. I took it with me for dinner at their place to show his dad. Parker's eyes popped. "Papa, that is a beautiful gun! You made that?" After I'm long gone and he is also old and gray, he will remember tonight. Hopefully, it will have inspired him to achieve. That would be my most significant achievement.

But that's just how I am. Be who you are. Or maybe be more than you think you are? 🙂

Last edited:
Until he quits the business, Paul gets my remaining work. Given I’m retired and like to mess with things first, he may not want some of those projects, but I digress. I’ve guns from Jarrett, Oregongunsmithing and Blagg rifles. The last two are only an hour from me, but I look to Paul for anything in the future.

Aero Precision is coming out with a Solus long action soon. It was teased at Shot Show. 3 lug 60 degree bolt. Nitrided (i can't remember) stainless action. Uses Rem 700 footprint and Bighorn Origin prefit barrels. I've seen their short actions for as low as $700 but I think the going rate is closer to $8-900. Order a prefit from Preferred Barrel, Carbon 6, etc and spin it on.

You could do all the work yourself but Paul is a straight shooter (though I haven't had him do work yet) and does great work. A 25-06ai screams Winchester Model 70

Of course you could go the Tikka route and do the work yourself or have a smith put a barrel on for you. There are more aftermarket parts popping up everyday.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back