Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Custer National Forest

Hardly! Deer numbers are starting to rebound form the lows of a few years ago but are far from recovered. I have been hunting the Custer for more than 35 years and a few years ago was as bad as I have ever seen.

Bow hunted just outside of Ashland for mule deer last year...only saw one other truck in the area in the days we were in there. We did see quite a few deer but very few bigger than fork horns..saw a few elk as well.

You have to keep it on context. If your a resident Montanan and you see more than two other hunters in the field . . . . . it's extremely crowded. The Custer National Forest is not different than a lot of places (Missouri Breaks, SW Montana, etc.) for the number of hunters. You just have to have the ability to locate some elk and take advantage of the situation. You might spend a lot of your time looking and not seeing any elk. The elk are not stupid, they know private land and public land. It could get frustrating, but now a days . . . . . that's hunting (the new normal). The deer hunting is pretty much the same.

No idea why someone from Colstrip would go there to hunt.I found way better deer hunting just outside of colstrip,and more elk sightings as well

No idea why someone from Colstrip would go there to hunt.I found way better deer hunting just outside of colstrip,and more elk sightings as well

Because some of us don't like dealing with block management. I agree that the hunting down there isn't what it used to be but I personally enjoy the freedom it offers. I don't think I would hunt it as a non resident though...

I have hunted it off and on over the years. Can't say I have ever shot a deer off of it. There is much better deer hunting in other spots in Montana unless you like small bucks and lots of hunters.

This is the strange thread.

Initial poster never posted again!

Started the conversation and got all he needed?

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunt... picture seems to have rotated during upload.

Attachments

• 20151031_100450 (Custom).jpg
    20151031_100450 (Custom).jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 818
Yep, that's a great buck.

I've driven through Custer a few times while heading farther west, looks like fun country to hunt.

Yea. And those damn Yoopers are the worst!!!!!!!! :D

That's for sure aye!!! :) Believe it or not, the word "Yooper" was actually added to the Merriam-Webster dictionary not too long ago.
Definition of Yooper
: a native or resident of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan —used as a nickname

Pretty buck.
I hunter can still find some good whitetails if you know where to look.( Not all of the Custer has whitetails.) Has gotten a lot tougher for mule deer in the last 10 to 15 years.

I hunted this one hard ten years ago. Only saw him twice. once in archery season and the day I got him just before Thanksgiving.

Attachments

• MVC-011F.JPG
    MVC-011F.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 775
Last edited:
It was awful a few years ago and somewhat better now but nothing like 8-10 years ago which was nothing like it was 20+ years ago according to the old timers.

We saw some trucks on the roads but few if any people out hiking past the shadows of their vehicles. I love the country but it's not on the top of my list for hunts this year. Deer numbers and age class just aren't all that good from what I've seen.

I am not yet willing to call my self an old timer. I saw some very good hunting in the 80's and even the 90's. but nothing like what my father saw in the 60's and 70's. It is still possible to take a top end deer but you need a lot of luck or a lot of time to scout and hunt.

I'll throw it out there on this old thread . I have to say as a Ca resident SE Montana between Ashland and Broadus was awesome for us . We shot some decent Muley bucks in November 2015 and had the time of our lives . The better bucks we got we're of course the ones shot the furthest from the road . We saw lots of Antelope too . I talked with some locals and the Game Warden and was told that after a recent fire they had it was really bad but was making a decent comeback . I loved Mt I wish I could move there .

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back