Custer Gallatin help

I took some great photos of a friend's public land animal on Sunday. SW MT. Also met an interesting rancher, and later got to listen to a man tell me what it was like to be in the water on 6/6/44 on Omaha Beach.

I took some great photos of a friend's public land animal on Sunday. SW MT. Also met an interesting rancher, and later got to listen to a man tell me what it was like to be in the water on 6/6/44 on Omaha Beach.

Not many of those left. I knew one, long gone...

Nice buck Greeny now you and your daughter have attracted another 1000 hunters from Washington, Minnesota, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. All of them looking at your daughter's buck going "see there's still some left." Better get out here they're going fast. Once a certain Bozeman "public land hunter but, occasionally both sides of the fence" buck from this year hits the twittersphere it'll be all she wrote for down there.

Always nice when hunting consultants publish pictures that are nearly as good as GPS coordinates. Those pictures helped me find this antler. Likely from the buck he shot.

The decline started before the story in Eastmans. That story just started to shovel the dirt on the coffin.
In the early 80's the forest service established the riding and hiking areas. In the first few years they went almost untouched. Nineteen eighty seven was the best year I ever saw for big deer. The number of really big deer taken that year or that I saw scouting was amazing. Not your 25 inch 170 deer but your 30 inch+ 190 inch deer. It wasn't long and the word was out. By the early 90's there was a lot more hunters in the riding and hiking areas. May be even more than today. Hunting was still good for a while but the writing was on the wall. I have to agree with JLS. FWP failed to adapt the the changes and we still hunt the Custer as if it was the late 70's.

Attachments

• 76.875e.jpg
    76.875e.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:
I find it funny how many people on here have a close connection to that deer in the eastmans article. LOL

The legend of buffalo bill's big buck. Unfortunately he had the world's worst taxidermist mount it up. Hell of a deer.

It's interesting, this year I shot the biggest mule deer of my life but it's the first year since I've been on social media and forums that I feel compelled to NOT post a picture of it because of what's been discussed in this thread. This isn't meant to be a humble brag by any means, but I used to love posting my pics, and this year I'm very much reserved about it. It's a peculiar evolution.

If it was fun and you would like to do it again I would have my reservations. But if you don’t care or it was limited entry I would post away.

I must've missed the famous landmark. But I was able to pick out some words of wisdom from this long winded blowhard's story.

" in just a couple of years, the deer situation should be much improved. That is encouraging, and mule deer aficionados in Montana have reason for optimism."

He was also recommending Enron and Blockbuster as strong buys - I go that from another forum hunter heaven guy posts on.

Crybabies, we use to hunt Colorado unit 44 3rd season every 3rd year, even less for several years until the Barf Carter and company blew it up(there was also a nasty winter involved). Suck it MT.

Last edited:
It's interesting, this year I shot the biggest mule deer of my life but it's the first year since I've been on social media and forums that I feel compelled to NOT post a picture of it because of what's been discussed in this thread. This isn't meant to be a humble brag by any means, but I used to love posting my pics, and this year I'm very much reserved about it. It's a peculiar evolution.

As long as you don't have a picture with one of the most recognizable hills in three counties you should be fine

What I got out of the story GH linked was 1-1 buck to doe ratios, and a biologist saying that several Booners had come out of the general area in the previous year. But hey, go ahead and blame it on Bozeman hunters.

That is why good over the counter, public land, mule deer hunting is always temporary. Poor mule deer hunting, not so temporary.

It certainly wasn’t just 6 plates. They had plenty of help from across the state.

It certainly wasn’t just 6 plates. They had plenty of help from across the state.

Very true... mainly Montana fish and game. Hard to blame one town for our crappy hunting but Bozeman is a great place to start. :)

Crybabies, we use to hunt Colorado unit 44 3rd season every 3rd year, even less for several years until the Barf Carter and company blew it up(there was also a nasty winter involved). Suck it MT.

Yeah that was the good old days. I got in on 44 3rd season twice. now havent even been close to sniffing a 44 tag since 2003. I will never draw it again in my life. Also Mr Monster Muleys helped blow that place to bits.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back